Skip Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The bucket man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS880 and a 47" / 0.063 bar. I want to run it with a skip chain, i just dont know which one would be best and safe to use? Also what are the chain numbers so i can order it? Any help is appreciated...

What is the drive link count and pitch? And I don't know about safe when it comes to skip, the two words don't really go together lol

Yeah, "safe" can only be applied with "chainsaw" to a certain extent. A picture of the numbers and letters by the base of the bar would help a lot with determining which chain will work.

I dont see why it's any more or less "safe" then standard chain. What makes you want to run skip and not full comp? That saw should have more then enough snot to pull a bar that size.

I dont see why it's any more or less "safe" then standard chain. What makes you want to run skip and not full comp? That saw should have more then enough snot to pull a bar that size.
Because of larger gaps between teeth it creates more bite when you first enter the wood. This also means it has a much higher chance of causing kick back too.

Oregon's "59J" or "68LX" or "68JX" chains all would be good choices. You would have to find a dealer with one of them in-stock though, I believe Oregon only sells them by the roll.

What is the drive link count and pitch? And I don't know about safe when it comes to skip, the two words don't really go together lol
I bought the saw new with a 36" bar 108dl. I need to know what size (dl) full skip chain i need for the 47" bar? I think its .404 pitch...

I saw this and ordered a 46RMSF138DL it fit the bar, but it was too short. The bar was against the sprocket. I counted the drive links and got 134, so i brought it back to the shop and said the chain is too short. I just hope i was right?
Both attachments say 139DL ???? If your hoping for it to work then with 138DL you bought the wrong chain.

No it doesn’t...090 is 139; 138 should be good

Back