skip VS full house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hyper skip is like a society that failed to take the China virus seriously with not many cutters left at all to do the work, full house is like the que at the unemployment office during China virus, semi and full skip are sorta in between. Just buy a loop and give it a try, that's always better than your mates neighbour's cousins wife's 2nd child's teachers opinion after a few glasses of whiskey.
Stuff does a great job on the mill, very smooth slabs.
I think the chain he is running(5-6') had 26 cutters, he said he usually gets 3 cuts on a wide slab.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 9.23.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 9.23.55 PM.png
    385.9 KB · Views: 9
hahahaha holy F**K there is some golden answers here. this should get some feathers flustered, i have a 50" cannon with full comps only for it. i sold the skip chains for my 24 sugi and im running fulls with everything. anyway, honestly i would like to thank everyone for the replies! im new here, been cutting most of my life and never knew of the saw community online.

If you run anything less than 32" and you have never used skip then you are just gay.
haha wtf?! sure, party on wayne. i have the 50" for willow stumping and the 32" for the rare monster but us "noreasters" take down pretty much everything with 18-24" bars. but anyway, this thread was started to talk about chains.... not tummy sticks n sword fights.

Fussy point with the thread title: 'Full House' refers to chain that doesn't have any spaces / drive links between cutters. 'Right-Left-Right-Left'.

It is a specialty chain sequence used for carving, bamboo, cutting non-ferrous metal, etc.

The 'Right-tie strap-Left-tie strap' sequence is usually referred to as 'standard' or 'full complement ' ('full comp') chain.

Philbert
How long back have they been making it? I have only seen chain with out space under one year on the internet and we have been calling regular chain either full complimentary or full house since my time from the late 80's?
Under dispute!

How long back have they been making it? I have only seen chain with out space under one year on the internet and we have been calling regular chain either full complimentary or full house since my time from the late 80's?
Under dispute!
I don't have historical documentation to submit as evidence, but I recall seeing it in the Bailey's catalog more than 10 years ago? Mostly sold in 1/4" pitch for carving.
Someone posted some ads in Japanese (!) of 3/8" low profile Oregon chain sold in Asia for cutting bamboo, that does not seem to be offered here.
And I have seen references for it used to cut non-ferrous metal (!?!) a few times - not sure what this is about, but you know that there are non-traditional uses of a lot of stuff!

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/p...ptor-saw-chain-and-guide-bars/c/sculptor-sc-p
Philbert

I don't have historical documentation to submit as evidence, but I recall seeing it in the Bailey's catalog more than 10 years ago? Mostly sold in 1/4" pitch for carving.
Someone posted some ads in Japanese (!) of 3/8" low profile Oregon chain sold in Asia for cutting bamboo, that does not seem to be offered here.
And I have seen references for it used to cut non-ferrous metal (!?!) a few times - not sure what this is about, but you know that there are non-traditional uses of a lot of stuff!

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/p...ptor-saw-chain-and-guide-bars/c/sculptor-sc-p
Philbert
It doesn't surprise me that you could cut a non-ferrous metal with it, when I built sign cabinets we used a saw to cut all the aluminum extrusion, many times I wouldn't even need to file it when done it was such a nice finish.

@jmester made a full-sized, 3/8 pitch, full-house chain for another member on another site site, as I recall.

Seems like a good project for the times that we are currently living in . . . .
View attachment 812566

Philbert
I'm thinkin a 24" loop of .404 of the every link stuff... with a 9 pin sprocket on a big block saw... at the very least it would be funny

What about redneck skip, or poor mans skip when you go at a full comp chain with a cut off wheel. You end up with a sequence different to the skip/semi skip chains.

Back