Slab ID? What tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Dozzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Posted in the home owner section, but didnt get any traction.
We had a few acres of Fir and Cedar cut and sorted with a feller buncher. None of the logs have bark left. Cut into what I thought was cedar and found this. Its hard, but light. Pretty easy to slab with the CS mill.
Im in the PNW.
Some type of Alder maybe?

Attachments

• 20180611_182348.jpg
    20180611_182348.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
Thanks. We have some of that around, but dont know they would cut it. Is it even marketable? Maybe they cut & striped it by mistake.
Red Alder is the most common hardwood tree in the Northwest USA.
Its related to Birch.
It is mainly used for veneer, plywood, furniture, cabinetry, millwork, pallets, musical instruments (electric guitar bodies), and chip/pulp wood.
Works easily and takes stain easy. Looks similar to Cherry after staining.
Check out this link to see lots more about it...
http://www.wood-database.com/red-alder/

Red Alder is the most common hardwood tree in the Northwest USA.
Its related to Birch.
It is mainly used for veneer, plywood, furniture, cabinetry, millwork, pallets, musical instruments (electric guitar bodies), and chip/pulp wood.
Works easily and takes stain easy. Looks similar to Cherry after staining.
Check out this link to see lots more about it...
http://www.wood-database.com/red-alder/

Well all be... thanks for the info. Ill keep slabbing it.

Posted in the home owner section, but didnt get any traction.
We had a few acres of Fir and Cedar cut and sorted with a feller buncher. None of the logs have bark left. Cut into what I thought was cedar and found this. Its hard, but light. Pretty easy to slab with the CS mill.
Im in the PNW.
Some type of Alder maybe?

It looks great!

It looks great!

Thanks. To be honest, I always kinda thought of the red alder as a tree i wasn't interested in for anything. Not even fire wood. The more I mill it, the more I like it. I still prefer cedar and fir, but I wont turn my nose up at red alder anymore.

Thanks. To be honest, I always kinda thought of the red alder as a tree i wasn't interested in for anything. Not even fire wood. The more I mill it, the more I like it. I still prefer cedar and fir, but I wont turn my nose up at red alder anymore.

I really like interesting grain patterns and character. I was shocked when I milled some willow and it was full of colour. Not totally sure what kind of willow but after doing some searching I think it was black willow. It was an urban yard tree that was removed.

Back