Sledge Hammer & Wedges???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Many moons ago I use to split wood with an axe and if that wouldn't get it done, then out with the steel wedges and a sledge hammer. NO PIECE OF WOULD COULD WITHSTAND THE ASSULT OF THE WEDGES AND SLEDGE HAMMER!!!!!!!

In fact, we use to cut locust posts and if the log was big enough, we'd take our wedges and split it onto multiple posts and use the butt of the axe to knock the bark off!

The good ole days - I think ;)

Fast forward to the 3rd quarter of my life and I got a pile of wood. Ain't got no fancy log splitter (yet), but I've got a nice maul.

Tonight after it cooled down, I started splitting some rounds and found myself with some HARD to split, very stringy oak (maybe white oak). After beating several rounds with the maul until I was soaked from sweat and ready to grab my heart, I decided to go the nuclear route and I fished-out my old sledge hammer and wedges.

I forgot how easy the sledge hammer and wedges were to use and made quick work of these troublesome pieces of wood - YIPPIE!!!!!!!

Anyone else have/use a sledge hammer and wedges to split some wood?

Bill

backache.gif

Having spent much time with hammer in hand, I will say there are far easier ways of getting the job done. I applaud you efforts....:)

Yes its ALOT of work. Ive banged my self to death on some tough wood, and its no fun, expecially when its 90 degrees. But you gotta do what you gotta do.:cheers: My back and body thanks me that I dont have to do it anymore.

I love my 10 pounder & wedges. It's the way Grandpa taught me to tackle the tough ones. He was also really good @ replacing the hickory.:) I learned eventually, & make handles last for years now. A C

Try them wedges on some 2'+ american elm, I've seen guys with 3 or 4 wedges stuck in a big round, then you can't hardly cut it up with the saw. My wedges are sitting next to my 6' crosscuts.

Try them wedges on some 2'+ american elm, I've seen guys with 3 or 4 wedges stuck in a big round, then you can't hardly cut it up with the saw. My wedges are sitting next to my 6' crosscuts.

:agree2:

Wedges got old quick when I was a kid. Ours are around here somewhere, lost in the last move several years ago..it's tragic.

28" Bar on the 372 means I don't wedge nothin' except when felling, and I like that just fine.

Good to see folks enjoying the "Organic" work out of wedges still though.
Makes a guy appreciate things a little more.:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I use them alot after starting to quarter large logs (make noodles). Stick the wedge in the newly cut space, hit it 2 maybe 3 times and presto-changeo, the round is split into more managable pieces.

Last edited:
Even having a fairly new TroyBilt I still split most of my wood with wedge/sledge/maul. It is good excercise and I have plenty of time (retired). Of course I don't even try any round that looks like it will argue back, it goes on my "splitter" pile - when that gets too big I drag the splitter out for a session.

Of course that still leaves a few rounds that will need noodling - a fun job that I usually save until a nice day in the fall or winter.

Harry K

I use wedges on big rounds that I can't lift onto the splitter.

I use them alot after starting to quarter large logs (make noodles). Stick the wedge in the newly cut space, hit it 2 maybe 3 times and presto-changeo, the round is split into more managable pieces.

Yes, I have mushroomed more than a few of wedges before. Last time i posted pictures of them i got talked about pretty bad.lol I noodle em down now, So much easier and faster.

No good deed goes unpunished S² :cheers::cheers:
Those wedges were shrapnel makers.:monkey:

Many moons ago I use to split wood with an axe and if that wouldn't get it done, then out with the steel wedges and a sledge hammer. NO PIECE OF WOULD COULD WITHSTAND THE ASSULT OF THE WEDGES AND SLEDGE HAMMER!!!!!!!

In fact, we use to cut locust posts and if the log was big enough, we'd take our wedges and split it onto multiple posts and use the butt of the axe to knock the bark off!

The good ole days - I think ;)

Fast forward to the 3rd quarter of my life and I got a pile of wood. Ain't got no fancy log splitter (yet), but I've got a nice maul.

Tonight after it cooled down, I started splitting some rounds and found myself with some HARD to split, very stringy oak (maybe white oak). After beating several rounds with the maul until I was soaked from sweat and ready to grab my heart, I decided to go the nuclear route and I fished-out my old sledge hammer and wedges.

I forgot how easy the sledge hammer and wedges were to use and made quick work of these troublesome pieces of wood - YIPPIE!!!!!!!

Bill

yep...i still do...even tho i have a wood splitter.

i still get out the old hammer and wedge and bust up the large ones so i can pick them up.

I hate to think of the times I’d split them big old nasty chunks with a wedge. Years ago my dad sold firewood on the side and all the nasty chunks would be put aside for me to burn in my old wood furnace in the basement. Many times they wouldn’t fit through the furnace door so I’d take the wedges and split off some. I spent many a night in the basement with two wedges and a 5 pound hammer. It might sound like a lot of work but sitting on the couch watching TV all night never heated my house. Yep! Those were the good o’l days that I’ll never miss.

Bill

Yep, though not since I got my splitter. Injured my foot and just couldn't swing properly, and needed to get some wood in for the winter, so I got the splitter.

I hope to get back to doing some the old-fashioned way soon, just for the exercise. When I was splitting it all manually (yes, 36" and better oak rounds, thank you!), I was in much better shape. We had a celebration at work and they brought in a mini-carnival, complete with one of those hit-with-the-mallet-and-ring-the-bell things, and I went out there and embarrassed some pretty big football player types. Mind you, I'm 52 at the time, grey haired, and a beanpole. I whacked that thing one handed and rang the bell 4 or 5 times in a row, handed the mallet back to the big young guy that couldn't ring it at all, smiled, and walked away. :D

It's technique, not brawn, but he didn't know that. You could sorta tell by the way his eyes bugged out. :hmm3grin2orange:

I do most of my splitting with a maul. I use my wedges on some of those bastard pieces. I have buried wedges to the point where I have had to burn them out, that sux. If I get a bunch of crotch wood I send it to my dad or someone else who has a splitter

Jeff

Latest posts

Back