slime flux/wet wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpdad

Reaction score
I am in NJ, northeast. My parents' property and am thinking of doing some work myself, but only if maybe some dirt and compost work.
Those 2 are blue spruce. About 50' tall, compared to the background house. Two are about 8' apart and on the right is deciduous tree about as tall. Left spruce is 16" diameter at the base. Right is 19". Longest and lowest branch is about 14', although I don't know if this shows a true drip line.
Just noticed the weeping crack and black, wet looking bark. Internet searching brought up the wet wood disease and that the tree is unhealthy but it may heal itself.
I bought some tree fertilizer spikes but was told by a local garden supplier that it needs a deep root fertilization. I also called the tree company who sprays these 2 trees against aphids and waiting for them to call. I called the NJ agricultural extension service but no help from there. So I am here for more information.
1. Deciduous tree on right. It is blocking about all sun. Should this be cut?
2. Ground slopes a lot to the right. I thought this wouldn't hold any water. Would it help to build a retaining wall to the right and fill it with dirt? I thought this would allow more water to stay around the tree.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    722.4 KB · Views: 13
Back