Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow Down out there!

Discussion in 'Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities' started by MJC, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MJC

MJC ArboristSite Lurker

"SLOW DOWN YOU IDIOT!" Says myself to me after my chainsaw rips through the side of my boot and cuts all my laces. "Well . . . there go my new laces. Wait, is that warm wetness blood?! or is it just sweat? Am I OK?" The things that go through your head just when you think everything is going swimmingly and then you quit paying attention.
    No harm done today. Tough leather and fibrous thinsulate saw me through by a tooth skin. (This is why I get good boots, but second hand and cheap, though this one went a bit too far.)
    BUT, it could have happened, and it has happened to others. So . . . I saw it as a good reminder and worth a post. SLOW DOWN out there! Advice to myself as much as anyone else.
    Anyone else got some good "SLOW DOWN IDIOT" pics?

0405181332.jpg

Dahmer, Philbert, Cycledude and 2 others like this.
  2. Cycledude

Cycledude ArboristSite Operative

Yikes !
    Keep telling myself I’m going to buy some chaps but so far no chaps.

Husky Man likes this.
  3. Marine5068

Marine5068 Addicted to ArboristSite

Good point.
    Always better to go slow when you're tired, fatigued or just not right on the ball that day.
    Long days and many thoughts can do that to us and not just while running a chainsaw but when driving and even when having fun like boating and snowmobiling or 4 wheeling and such.
    Be careful, give plenty of space for tired mishaps or slow thinking and SLOW DOWN.

Cycledude likes this.
  4. Enrique Smith

Enrique Smith ArboristSite Lurker

A very good thought!

5. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

You said to slow down, so I've been thinking about this for four months. If I went any slower, I'd be going backwards.

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. Husky Man

Husky Man ArboristSite Guru

Getting the chaps isn't enough, you need to USE them too;)

I'm just a firewood cutter, not a Professional, but I have a pair of jeans that have a couple of small holes in them from a case of Bad Footing, couple small holes in the pants, didn't even touch skin, BUT another inch or even less, would have been a Very Bad day in the woods, 50+ MILES from the nearest Hospital:surprised3::(:(:(:(

I have a new appreciation for chaps, some other weekend woodcutters may snicker at my chaps, and cutting helmet, but that's Okay, I snicker at their "Wild Thangs" and 4x8 trailers;):), and see their jealous glances, as I roll the splitter out of the 6x12, as they're swinging mauls:).

Doug :cheers:

Dahmer, SeMoTony and Philbert like this.
  7. WetBehindtheEar

WetBehindtheEar ArboristSite Guru

Your point is very well taken on sloowwwing dowwwwn when you get to the later part of a work day. I was working up a downed red oak that was hung up in two other trees this weekend - and realized after clearing brush/limbs all morning that I was stinkin' tired and was starting to make bad decisions (cutting higher than my waist height, using my foot to stabilize a log...)
    I'd actually invest in a good pair of chainsaw boots. I'm also a 'weekend warrior' but I ponied up the $$$ for a high quality pair of steel-toed, kevlar-lined logging boots. They are truly comfortable enough to wear all day, and will save me $Thousand$ if not more if I were to knick my foot/ankle or worse. $400 is cheap insurance compared to a severed foot. And chaps wont keep the saw from taking off your toes/tarsal region.

Dahmer likes this.
  8. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Screen shot 2018-10-08 at 7.50.25 PM.png

Philbert

Jakers, Dahmer, SeMoTony and 2 others like this.