Slowing down a loud chipper cutting disk with clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konmaniak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Some of our chippers are old and the cutting disk is still pretty loud at idle. Impatiently, some guys try and slow it down by feathering the clutch after the chipper has been turned off, to slow the cutting disk.

Sometimes I turn off the chipper at around 1000RPM, while the clutch is engaged for the same reason.

Are either acceptable practises? What are the individual risks of both actions?

Thanks.

The reason behind the loud noise is that your disk bearings are bad. If the bearings come apart during operation, it could cause major damage to the disk. You also could be damaging the disk shaft by running bad bearings as they may groove the shaft. You really don't want to engage the clutch above idle as you'll be damaging the clutch. If the key switch is in the on position and you try to engage the clutch when the engine isn't running, the engine can restart.

I hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Thanks for the advice, but you didn't answer my question.

I'm asking about slowing down an obnoxiously loud wheel. Does it cause damage to shut off the chipper with clutch engaged, or to engage clutch once machine is off?

Having the clutch engaged and shutting engine off shouldn't damage the clutch as it's engaged and not slipping or anything. Is it good for the engine? Eh prob not but even tho the key is off it's pumping oil so that's a plus.. maybe dont let it come to a complete stop just most of the way then pop the clutch out.

But seriously if the bearings are that bad it's time to repair, very scary things can happen if one fails also a much costlier repair after failure.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back