Small chipper for my business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john Kawamoto jr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone im kinda new to the business as far as chippers go im looking for something for my small landscaping / tree trimming business. Ive narrowed it down to chippers the7 inch boxer x7 coming in at $16,500 plus shipping and the 6 inch bear ch6627h coming in at $14,899 plus tax. Anyone with experience with these chippers? Looking for some input other then the specs i see and couple of videos from youtube. Thank you.

No experience with those 2 specific models. I did buy a used Bear Cat 74824 in 2011 which has been relatively trouble free. It did need to have ignition components replaced 4 years ago and the fuel shutoff solenoid got "sticky" last spring (relatively easy fix), but otherwise has been a champ for us. It is nominally an 8" chipper but realistically the max is 4-5" and then you have to baby it through or the engine dies. When that happens, you generally have to open the chute and remove the load of chips that didn't get ejected before you can restart - really messes with your workflow. Better to chip slowly and keep revs up.
The other things we love about it are that it can be rotated on a turntable so the throat can always face the work pile and the unit is light enough to be towed up some pretty steep hills by our 1946 Willys Jeep (original 60hp flathead engine)

If I were in the small chipper market I'd look at a lightly used bandit 65. Or fork up just a bit more and get a bandit 90. If you're really on a budget a Chuck and duck will outrun all the smaller chippers with relatively low weight and maintenance

If I were in the small chipper market I'd look at a lightly used bandit 65. Or fork up just a bit more and get a bandit 90. If you're really on a budget a Chuck and duck will outrun all the smaller chippers with relatively low weight and maintenance
Yea budget is tight company is fairly new and needing a chipper to handle small brush

Vermeer 6" not sure as the model number, but its small easily towable, one of the best power feed systems I've seen. Don't even mess with anything that does not have power feed BTW.

watch the auctions they come up fairly often as they are popular with rental companies

Barring that you should probably ask this question in the arborist 101 or pro climber forum, loggers tend to leave the brush behind or burn it.

I run a Vermeer bc 700xl amazing little machine will chip anything that fits. Small easy to maintain and light cheap repairs and is no slouch. Used low hours all day long 6000$ like new. Most come from rental agency used and are a steal. I have a bc 1800 and it sits more then anything the little 700 is amazing in cemeteries and anywhere you want to unhook and push around with a guy or two.

It's almost the same financing issues I've had couple of months ago, when we were starting our area we had to start.

And it's not only about construction financing difficulties, heavy equipment financing, machinery and manufacturing problems, it's also about simple salary things to your workers, who will do all these work about setting it's all up. If you want to build a nice forestry business, you can rely those responsibilities to people, whom you don't know.

Back