ArboristSite.com Sponsors

SMALL ENGINE SHOP!

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by BJD85, Jun 13, 2019.

1. BJD85

BJD85 ArboristSite Operative

I called the small engine shop today to pick his brain about my dolkita EA6100p. Started asking diognastic questions and he asked me "well kind of saw is it?" I told him its a makita and he said.... " no that's a DOLMAR I dont have enough people for that i can't help you" AMD THEN HE HUNG UP! HAHAH. anyone know what thats about?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

2. CausticUC

CausticUC Need to fix that pull!

To hazard a guess, he got screwed on a business decision one way or the other. Likely followed by old-school "you didnt buy it from me - I ain't helping you" mentality.

3. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Sounds like his time is worth money and he got tired of playing phone mechanic for free.

4. ammoaddict

ammoaddict ArboristSite Guru

Well said.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

Yeah, busy time of year for that......

6. pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600 Lost in Space Staff Member

If you were in my neck of the woods the mechanic would have kicked ya in the sack. Sachs Dolmar was a great saw and they sold very well here until the Makita takeover, that`s when the capital S hit the fan and the dealers were forced out of business do to ineptitude by Makita..
    Plus as others have stated, they are not there to help you fix your saw for free.

7. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

Unless you are a chesty 23 year old girl in a halter top!!!!

8. pioneerguy600

Yea, I have seen where that works, been there myself a time or two. Ever been to Burning Man festival?

cus_deluxe and Duce like this.
  9. CausticUC

CausticUC Need to fix that pull!

Some low service expectations it seems.

A call like this goes a few ways: give a couple ideas and tell him to bring it down for em to look at (3/4 of the time the guy calling cant change the air filter), when it gets there they either sell parts/service to fix it or they sell the guy a new saw.

If it's an old shop, they might actually fix it for you no matter what the brand is. However I am hearing more often that it is a replacement sale and the shops just part out the old one.

merc_man, Duce and pioneerguy600 like this.
  10. pioneerguy600

The shops at one time had mechanics working there, a mechanic could figure out any machine and mechanical problem but fewer shops have mechanics. They now have ,techs, that can only fix what they have been taught to fix, they need books and computers to enable them to find the info required for a repair and most are stuck in a rut of only fixing one or two brands, usually the best selling ones.

Philbert, sawfun, Natster and 8 others like this.
  11. Sam R

Sam R 8mm Socket

I'll work on about anything someone brings me but if you think I can somehow magically come up with parts for a Homelite that's older than I am...

Tobystihl, merc_man and Duce like this.
  12. BJD85

Wow guys relax it really wasent like I was asking him what was wrong and how do I fix it myself. I was just trying to explain it to you in less words. by saying diognastic questions. I told him how i him how I tuned it and the symptoms of the chainsaw and he said well what kind of saw it is. I told him amd thats when he said I can't help you. I respect people who work for a living. I'm an HVAC man and I dont do anything for free. Maybe ask a few more questions guys before you just down a newbie throat. Jeez

CausticUC likes this.
  13. BJD85

And it funny when I post actual questions asking for help i get one person to respond. Then I tell this story and everyone on this site wants to kick me in the nuts pitching in?

huskihl, TheBrushSlasher and Duce like this.
  14. ryan penrod

ryan penrod New Member

Some companies just do not work with what they consider support for products.
    From a buisness standpoint I as a rule do not work on those teal machines,only because I cannot get parts in a timely manner. When i cannot get you out the door in a respectable time ill pass on the job every time ... lost labor is better than bad reviews.

Philbert, Tobystihl, merc_man and 3 others like this.
  15. Sam R

Sam R 8mm Socket

I agree with that. I can get a lot of parts for a lot of things but people bring ancient or unsupported tools in (cough, Tool Shed ANYTHING) and I just say you're better off buying a new one, friendo.

Duce and BJD85 like this.
  16. BJD85

So I did everything I could to the dolkita. Air filter tune and premium premix gas. Still hase alot of smoke and,oil coming out of the muffler. I can return it but I'll need to do it soon. I bought it from home depo used and they said they will take it back. Should I return it and,just get a Sachs dolmar 6100? I really love that saw

17. Duce

Duce Addicted to ArboristSite

Agree with you. Owner asked what kind (brand) of saw and he does not have a large enough call for that brand to order parts or work on them.

18. Sam R

Sam R 8mm Socket

A lot of smoke & oil coming out the muffler could mean a few things. If you're using premix that rules that out. Spark plug fouled, oil/gas in the muffler from flooding, incorrect metering height, rich mixture screw...

Dahmer and BJD85 like this.
  19. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

I like that idea!

pioneerguy600 and Huskybill like this.
  20. ammoaddict

ammoaddict ArboristSite Guru

You already know your gonna have to put an oil pump on it. $30. Ray sent you all the manuals. It tells you how to tune it. It sounds rich, but may need a carb kit. It's up to you if you want to return it. You can buy a brand new one at HD. Dolmar, Makita 6100, exact same saw. They are great running saws.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk