Small Granberg Alaskan Mill-Is it all there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdrew888

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all, this small old mill has been sitting in Grandpa's junk pile for a long time.

1) I'm trying to determine if any essential parts are missing besides the power-head and chain?

2) Is that a Stihl Bar?

3) Based on the numbers stamped on the bar can we assume its a 36" bar and requires a 063 chain?

4) How many drivers to get the correct length chain?

5) How small of a power-head can a person (hobbyist) reasonable get away with using. Might want to cut a few planks and beams for personal use if ever the opportunity should arise.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I'm new to the milling world. Thanks for helping me out!

re3fk5S.jpg

bKtxN9h.jpg

UuWyvy4.jpg

kR93C7G.jpg

1uMhdZ3.jpg

DlohXLv.jpg

X0falVI.jpg

With the two adjuster holes is that 14mm slot bar? If so the smallest saw is an 051 I think.

Thanks psuiewalsh for the info! I believe you are correct its a 14mm slot.
yxYrhve.jpg

21BCtiq.jpg

Unfortunately my saw collection is lacking. I have a working 026 & 034 and hopefully soon to have a running 041.

I have a project 050 (see below) that I wont pursue fixing if its not adequate enough. The 050 has low compression, no spark and has missing and broken parts. In order to fix it I would need a good donor saw and I suspect things like new gaskets, pistons/rings, cylinders etc would be hard to come by.
63bgs9I.jpg

You could get a different bar and drill the holes needed for the mill. But an 034 maybe a little on the small side to mill much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could get a different bar and drill the holes needed for the mill. But an 034 maybe a little on the small side to mill much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm considering that option to go with a different bar if I can't locate an appropriate Stihl power head. I have very little wood to mill so not wanting to invest a lot into it. I have a friend that has a beat up 056 that might be worth trying to fix. Just waiting to hear back from him...
nvTcKyK.jpg

Q5xV1g8.jpg

thanks for posting the pics of your mill.now i know that i have a old Granberg

Back