Small Saw Chain Tests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was trying to do a series of tests of various small saws and chain combos last weekend but Youtube deleted my account. Going to re-upload to a different provider.

Looking at testing the following:

3/8 Low Profile in 12/14/16/18 inch bars. Then compare full chisel to semi chisel. I also have a loop of square ground 3/8 LP somewhere to throw into the mix. I’ll use the Husky 130 or 142 for this

I’m also going to test 3/8 LP, .325, and standard 3/8 on the same saw. Probably use full chisel chain for all of these. Muffler modded Husqvarna 340 for this test.

Finally I’m going to test out a couple bar lengths on the Poulan 5020 and also try skip versus full comp chain on the 20” bar.

Interesting I am testing myself, 3/8 low pro at the moment. Oregon 91 vxl,stihl picco semichisel and Husqvarna S93G.

Trying different size chains is good but what about trying different diameter rims too. Example switching from 3/8” chain and trying a .325” chain go up on the rim size too. Depending on the size of the power head. I played with a 40 cc husky saw, with the 325” LG chisel chain with a 16” bar and used a 325”-8 tooth rim in the hardwood. At the fair I ran a 9t rim. I never used the 7 t rim again unless a longer bar was used.

Bill- small saws barely have the nuts to pull the chain adequately with stock 6 or 7 tooth sprockets so stepping up wouldn’t do much. Julian (redbull660) has done many tests on larger saws with a host of bar, chain, and sprocket combos. Check out his work if you have questions.

My little 240sg was a professional husky saw. Run on 38:1 mix she screamed for a little saw.

Are you testing the chain on the 5200/80 cc and 5020?

the 3/8” LP is a pretty good sized tooth. Is there a low profile 3/8” chain?

I’m new to this new chain, my Stihl 170 takes pico chain is that the chain your talking about? On the 5020/50 cc saw?

I predict the 3/8 LP/picco for the win on the small saws, on the 5200 the 3/8 will win if it's tuned to the saw properly, if the rakers are all set stock the 325 may edge out the 3/8 on the 5200.
I should clarify..I am only testing 3/8 full comp versus 3/8 skip on the 5020. There was some discussion in the 5020 thread on if the 20" bar was too much for the saw so I want to sink it into hardwood to see. Have a nice birch that I am going to drop and the trunk is about 20" so it will be a good test platform.

Are you testing the chain on the 5200/80 cc and 5020?

I’m new to this new chain, my Stihl 170 takes pico chain is that the chain your talking about? On the 5020/50 cc saw?
I am only testing the 5020....I think someone had a mistype. My big Poulan is an 8500.

With Oregon it helps to type out all of the letters and numbers in a chain designation. They have made up a bunch of words lately to complicate things.
The full size 3/8 chain with the 72,73, or 75 in the designation has the " pretty good sized tooth" I think that LP got a longer cutter and is LPX, the plain LP obsoleted. The low profile 3/8 will have an 90 or 91 in the product designation. The former is for 50cc to 100cc according to Oregon, the latter is for up to 42cc for the 91 class and less for the 90 class. Low profile is a trademarked term belonging to Oregon hence Stihl uses the word Picco which currently has three variants I am aware of, comparable to the 90, 91, and a mini 1/4 inch pitch. The Stihl (at least for the first two) is a bit more robust and the max allowable cc is harder to pin down.

I don't know about full sized LP in 3/8 but the obsoleted SL and LG (SL=LG with bumper tie strap) in 0.325 were labeled low profile with a trademark.

I guess your idea of a small saw is large enough that Husqvarna would go with the 0.325 stuff as original equipment.

Edit,

I kind of think I typed this out for you prior. What do you think?

I should clarify..I am only testing 3/8 full comp versus 3/8 skip on the 5020. There was some discussion in the 5020 thread on if the 20" bar was too much for the saw so I want to sink it into hardwood to see. Have a nice birch that I am going to drop and the trunk is about 20" so it will be a good test platform.
Okay, so you're talking about a plastic homeowner saw ;). Picco for the win lol.
Skip will be faster on that saw with a 20" setup and standard 3/8.
Interested in your skip-tooth results. I visit a Facebook page more often than I should, and it seems like a lot of misinformation and bold claims are getting thrown around about the stuff and I'm curious about your findings.
Mayne I should state my claims in bold or caps :p.

Back