Small Saw Chain Tests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What am I missing here? The plastic bag from the Echo 361 chain says "91VXL053XJ".
Could both the Echo and the Makita chains be LP but since the Makita is .043 the teeth also has an even more narrow profile than what it would be on a .050 chain?
"What am I missing here?"
Low profile is a trade marked term belonging to Oregon. Notice how that Husqvarna package says 3/8mini. reduced also has been used
91VXL Oregon product 9=small class of 3/8 pitch chain 1=0.050 drive link thickness
90px Oregon product 9=small class of 3/8 pitch chain 0=0.043 drive link thickness
Oregon also uses a lettering system for the pre packaged stuff at hardware stores around here and omits these numbers.

Stihl
63pm3 6=small class of 3/8 pitch chain 3=1.3mm drive link thickness=0.050
61pmm3 6=small class of 3/8 pitch chain 1= 1.1mm drive link thickness=0.043

Carlton and some newer names may have the same size cutters for both drive link thicknesses.
Stihl 61pmm3 is better than similar class 0.043 chain. Opinion

We are clogging up the test thread

Alright obviously I had to check all my saws now and I'm still kinda puzzled;

The standard 3/8 .050 chain (probably Carlton) on my aftermarked stew MS381 has a top plate that is about (approx) 4.75mm/0.187" wide at the front cutting edge. That is beyond doubt a standard 3/8 chain.
My Echo saws; a 280T a 360T and a 361 rear handle are all .050, and they all have a top plate that is about (approx) 3.75mm/0.148" wide at the front cutting edge.
My Makita 3200 are .043, the chain have a top plate that is about (approx) 3.0mm/0.118" wide at the front cutting edge.

What am I missing here? The plastic bag from the Echo 361 chain says "91VXL053XJ".
Could both the Echo and the Makita chains be LP but since the Makita is .043 the teeth also has an even more narrow profile than what it would be on a .050 chain?
Because then obviously I would need a 0.43 guide bar on all my Echo saws to get the chain I really want.

It looks like the makita is using smaller chain, yes. It is likely MicroLite, AKA 90PX/Pixel chain. It is even mroe narrow kerf than 3/8LP AKA 90VP chain.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/medi...kOGM4OTQ0ODcxNjRjOGQ4NjFiYTM1ZDk0Y2JhYjI3OWRj
Your 361 bag states exactly what mine did. So that chain is probably the correct chain.
Also, bear in mind, it takes a bit of use for the Echo to break in. I dunno how handy you are with tools, but removing the cat will make a difference in performance on that 361, and it will cool the exhaust a bit as well without the kat. There is also a baffle in there you can drill through, too.

We are clogging up the test thread

Ok, but surely this has everything to do with "small saw chain" so my guess is it's not totally wasted.

It looks like the makita is using smaller chain, yes. It is likely MicroLite, AKA 90PX/Pixel chain. It is even mroe narrow kerf than 3/8LP AKA 90VP chain.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/medi...kOGM4OTQ0ODcxNjRjOGQ4NjFiYTM1ZDk0Y2JhYjI3OWRj
Your 361 bag states exactly what mine did. So that chain is probably the correct chain.
Also, bear in mind, it takes a bit of use for the Echo to break in. I dunno how handy you are with tools, but removing the cat will make a difference in performance on that 361, and it will cool the exhaust a bit as well without the kat. There is also a baffle in there you can drill through, too.

I'm pretty handy with tools I guess, yes thats the chain I want. Thanks again.

If we could get about 18" of snow to melt up here I would be able to get to my cutting area and start doing some tests. I was not interested in crawling through mid thigh deep snow to do this.

You WILL FIND that low kickback chains suck big air and are made for Nancy's and Pansies.

Some homeowners need low kick back chains. Some shouldn’t own power tools. There not pansies just unsafe.

I often wondered what if we took the low kick back rail and filed a C in the front of it so it grabs the chips to remove them faster. Didn’t someone in the past have a paddle inbetween the teeth?

Back