small stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I want a small one handed Stihl( but I wont use it with one hand) ...for ranch work,cutting poles and trimming stuff
not woodcutting..I have a bigger saw for that. Years ago the tiny saws were hard to start and prone to problems. I assume they are better now. What model would you get??? and inexpensive too..

will the 009 start easy or can I make it that way??? the old ones from the 80s sucked for that. always flood. Also can I get full rebuild kit for one now??

Same here. All my saws have been Stihl for years, but I really like the little Echo.
I have a mix of saws. I like them all but I tend to lean toward Echo. Great performance and reliability and it's hard to beat the price. The Stihl 150 is amazingly light. I'll probably add one of them eventually but it's an expensive little bugger.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

If you want a top handle that starts cold after a few pushes of the purge bulb and two pulls, get an Echo or a Shindaiwa (same saw, different color) or a Maruyama (engine is an old Echo design). If you get really lucky you may still get a Zenoah/Redmax top handle at non-gouging prices. As far as saws go, none is easier to start cold than a Zenoah, followed closely by Echo. And they are excellent products to boot.

I have a new (2017 manufacture) Stihl MS193T. It would be a great saw if it weren't for cold starting. I am almost positive the purge bulb is there just as an embellishment or because somebody at Waiblingen thought it really funny to put one on it. I am used to cold starting Stihl's, but the 193 is really in another level.

Unless you want a dedicated pruning saw for precision jobs, I'd advise against the Stihl MS150T and the Echo CS2511T. They are amazing little saws, but they are also designed with a very narrow use in mind. Also, if you like to keep your chain sharp in the field, 1/4" chain is not the easiest around to hand-file properly.

If you want a top handle that starts cold after a few pushes of the purge bulb and two pulls, get an Echo or a Shindaiwa (same saw, different color) or a Maruyama (engine is an old Echo design). If you get really lucky you may still get a Zenoah/Redmax top handle at non-gouging prices. As far as saws go, none is easier to start cold than a Zenoah, followed closely by Echo. And they are excellent products to boot.

I have a new (2017 manufacture) Stihl MS193T. It would be a great saw if it weren't for cold starting. I am almost positive the purge bulb is there just as an embellishment or because somebody at Waiblingen thought it really funny to put one on it. I am used to cold starting Stihl's, but the 193 is really in another level.

Unless you want a dedicated pruning saw for precision jobs, I'd advise against the Stihl MS150T and the Echo CS2511T. They are amazing little saws, but they are also designed with a very narrow use in mind. Also, if you like to keep your chain sharp in the field, 1/4" chain is not the easiest around to hand-file properly.
Good points. Thanks for sharing. I know all my Echo equipment has excellent.

The 150 cuts way outside its size range. But not it's price range. Lol
I use it clearing blow downs on the Appalachian Trail.
Sometimes it does way more than it should.
Lots of 12" oak......but not made for it.
But when hiking miles in.......I love the weight.

The 150 cuts way outside its size range. But not it's price range. Lol
I use it clearing blow downs on the Appalachian Trail.
Sometimes it does way more than it should.
Lots of 12" oak......but not made for it.
But when hiking miles in.......I love the weight.
I know I was impressed how light the 150 is. I just couldn't justify the cost for me personally but I've heard guys are liking them.

Back