Small tree service bidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

since16

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have been a full time tree service for 2 years now. Me and my uncle have been working together he is almost 70 and has slowly been giving me more of his tree jobs. We are going to work out where he does all the bids I do all the work and need to work out a percentage. I don't know whats fair I don't have any reference so wondering what other people out there pay. I have a mini skid, nice chip truck, rear mount 65' bucket, 1 ton and will have another dump truck on the road soon, I can get quite a bit of work done in a day.

Reason I have no time im getting divorced my house used to b my shop with daycare half mile down the road. I was able to drop kid off at 7 get truck and get to work. Now my shop is on the opposite side of town from where I live I have joint custody and that eliminates doing bids or trees half the nights/weekends. It typically takes me 40 minutes with out kid drop off to get to shop. I literally just run out of time it has killed my reliability the nights I don't have my kid I need to b working till dark there is just about no time to meet customers. I have been doubling my business the last two yrs and this year is going to triple if I can stay reliable. Responses appreciated.

So I have been a full time tree service for 2 years now. Me and my uncle have been working together he is almost 70 and has slowly been giving me more of his tree jobs. We are going to work out where he does all the bids I do all the work and need to work out a percentage. I don't know whats fair I don't have any reference so wondering what other people out there pay. I have a mini skid, nice chip truck, rear mount 65' bucket, 1 ton and will have another dump truck on the road soon, I can get quite a bit of work done in a day.

Reason I have no time im getting divorced my house used to b my shop with daycare half mile down the road. I was able to drop kid off at 7 get truck and get to work. Now my shop is on the opposite side of town from where I live I have joint custody and that eliminates doing bids or trees half the nights/weekends. It typically takes me 40 minutes with out kid drop off to get to shop. I literally just run out of time it has killed my reliability the nights I don't have my kid I need to b working till dark there is just about no time to meet customers. I have been doubling my business the last two yrs and this year is going to triple if I can stay reliable. Responses appreciated.

you got a tough row to hoe,,,
the thing is,,,,,,,,,,,,,
YOU LIVE IN NEBRASKA,,,,,,,
it is up to you to think this out,
providing for your family is one thing,
putting your ego into the equation is your question,
in short,
go to work with a good company,,sorry if I made you mad,,
Jeff :cool:

No I understand how it sounds but working for a good company would b great but I never found one in 10 yrs of being an employee. In fact they just got worse. Its not an option. The businesses Ive worked with are in competition with each other on how sh**** they can treat people. I do live in Nebraska it ain't bad out here. I have never had a job that would guarantee start late and get off early so I can get my kid when I need that's like looking for a unicorn. I don't think my ego is in the way and I know a lot of guys get divorced and get screwed but I am not in that situation mom made plenty of money and Im not going to loose anything. Taking care of my family is why im doing this my motivations are not self centered I loved to drink I quit because my kid came first and it just couldn't b part of my life style. Im sure you cant say a number its in your contract not to. I thought you were a bidder? My uncle is pretty much retired its not like he needs to make a full time living this is to help us both out in the long term were both on the same page he wants to b fair to me and I want to b fair to him.

Oh and today was not a beautiful day it hailed like snow and they had to get wheel loaders out because it blocked the storm drains.

No I understand how it sounds but working for a good company would b great but I never found one in 10 yrs of being an employee. In fact they just got worse. Its not an option. The businesses Ive worked with are in competition with each other on how sh**** they can treat people. I do live in Nebraska it ain't bad out here. I have never had a job that would guarantee start late and get off early so I can get my kid when I need that's like looking for a unicorn. I don't think my ego is in the way and I know a lot of guys get divorced and get screwed but I am not in that situation mom made plenty of money and Im not going to loose anything. Taking care of my family is why im doing this my motivations are not self centered I loved to drink I quit because my kid came first and it just couldn't b part of my life style. Im sure you cant say a number its in your contract not to. I thought you were a bidder? My uncle is pretty much retired its not like he needs to make a full time living this is to help us both out in the long term were both on the same page he wants to b fair to me and I want to b fair to him.

Oh and today was not a beautiful day it hailed like snow and they had to get wheel loaders out because it blocked the storm drains.

:cheers:
Jeff

To the OP- its probably gonna be rough. Hire someone to help bear the load. Sure it will cut into profits, but what other choice do you have? If you're a growing company, it would be bound to happen anyway, hopefully this will just speed up the inevitable.

Latest posts

Back