smoke in the house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I had a Lopi Revere insert installed this past summer. It replaced an earth stove insert. I follow the directions for reloading and I get smoke coming back into the house. I open the bypass and open the primary air and then slightly open the door for a minute before putting wood in. Before I have all the wood in, smoke starts rolling out of the door. I had enough smoke a couple of times to set off the smoke detector. I tried reloading while having a window open in the room, still smoked. What am I missing here?

Is the smoke coming from what's left in the stove or what's going in?

I've not set off the smoke detector but have got some creosote smell off hot burning lumps of burly oak sometimes.

Don't remember getting this as often in the past. Sorta think it's the nature of my wood this year. Burr oak ect... that's plenty dry but 100% not fully seasoned fresh out of the woods. Especially the gnarliest Y's and burls where sap collects. Too cold to always let it Burn down all the way between loadings.

Is the smoke coming from what's left in the stove or what's going in?

I've not set off the smoke detector but have got some creosote smell off hot burning lumps of burly oak sometimes.

Don't remember getting this as often in the past. Sorta think it's the nature of my wood this year. Burr oak ect... that's plenty dry but 100% not fully seasoned fresh out of the woods. Especially the gnarliest Y's and burls where sap collects. Too cold to always let it Burn down all the way between loadings.
If the fire still has a lot of coals it will smoke. It also smokes after putting a few pieces of wood in and that seems to be coming from the new wood going in. The wood I am using was css and undercover for 4 years.

Erik try opening the bypass and primary door but not the stove door a few minutes before you are ready to load. Thinking you may need to get some heat up the chimney to get a better draft going. Colder outside temps may affect you chimney temps. Just a thought. .
I have tried that but it likes to smoke anyway. :(

How long has it been doing this? Since new or since it has gotten really cold?

Rule number one. If smoke is in the house, check the chimney. That is also rule unmbers 2 thru 10. I had it happen once and fortunately I had a CO detector that woke us up. The bird screen on the chimney cap was plugged.

Rule number one. If smoke is in the house, check the chimney. That is also rule unmbers 2 thru 10. I had it happen once and fortunately I had a CO detector that woke us up. The bird screen on the chimney cap was plugged.

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the neighbor's kid, put a board on top.... Just sayin!
(You know, your own sowing, is finally turned to reaping!)

Less than 15 feet isn't a whole lot of chimney. Did you inspect it and the cap yet? Likely wouldn't take much build up to make it bad drafting. Did it ever draft good? Agreed with above, I wouldn't go longer than a month on a new setup before first cleaning.

Sorta OT. I had a 6" liner (collapsible type) installed in my stainless, insulated 9" (ex fireplace) chimney, went up to clean it and couldn't. They had never fastened the top of the liner to anything, It was just standing there loose. Boss was "not pleased" to hear that and the crew was back the next morning.

Back