Smoothest cutting chain for my Ms201?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffkrib

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’ve been using Carlton chain on my bigger saws and been very happy due to the durability in our Aussie hardwoods. I’m looking to buy a few loops for my Ms201 rear handle but a have a vague recollection that the N1C 3/8LP is not highly regarded as its not a very smooth cutting chain? I currently have a loop of Stihl semi, Stihl full chisel and a loop of Archer semi. they are all good.
What is the pecking order for smoothness for both semi and full chisel?

I've been running a lot of 3/8lp lately and trying out different chains. I probably like the Carlton N1C the the best followed by the Stihl full and semi.
If the grind on the Carlton is off it does seem to grab the wood. I could see where some may not like it.

I am sold on Stihl ps3 for my 3/8" lo pro. That stuff cuts very well, wears well & I find the price is fairly amenable.

Think I’ll steer clear of the 1/4 pitch due to speed and more frequent sharpening. I’ve found a source of the Carlton for half what my Stihl dealer sells the Stihl chains for. I think I’ll give it a go and buy a few loops.

On a foot note when I bought the Archer chain it was disgracefully bighty out of the box. Measured the rakers they were almost double as deep as they should have been, had to do a fair bit of grinding to get them back to where they should be but then was nice and smooth.

Back