Snow in the south!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It started snowing at my place this AM at 7. Had about 14-16" by 5 PM. Weather man says 12-18 more overnight. Bring it!

Snow is a rare occasion in East Texas. Last week I got a phone call and told to look out the window. Sure enough it was snowing. Got a light coating, even the woodpile looked white. Now there is another forecast for snow. This one may happen South of me. Nice once in a while. I would not want a frequent occurrence of the white stuff.

White dirt! About an inch so far, I'll get more pics tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_20140128_145506.jpg
    IMG_20140128_145506.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 37
I'm glad this storm missed me. I don't need any ice nor snow. It is good in pictures but I don't need to be in the mess. I've had enough ice n snow in my life. I hope all goes well for those stranded. When these fronts come thru here, I give my relatives in Florida a heads up as to what to expect. They don't like the cold at all. Right now very cold for my area. Thinking of that Texas heat coming in a few more months.

I'm glad this storm missed me. I don't need any ice nor snow. It is good in pictures but I don't need to be in the mess. I've had enough ice n snow in my life. I hope all goes well for those stranded. When these fronts come thru here, I give my relatives in Florida a heads up as to what to expect. They don't like the cold at all. Right now very cold for my area. Thinking of that Texas heat coming in a few more months.

It's nasty. Once it started yesterday I wanted to keep my ex yankee driving cred up so tried a short trip to the local country quickee mart. zooba, it was freezing to ice almost instantly. gravel driveway..ok..hit the tar road slow..hmm..not terrible (we are talking only about a half inch of snow. so far) got going, first gear ok, second, give it just a scosh gas..slickery! instant. Had to use all my past memory and skills, keep moving with no wheel spin. Kinda fun....

Had to do it though, creeped up and back in second just above a lugging it speed, like 12 mph tops, think I hit 14 sliding down a hill for a bit. Another little bit more snow/ice I would have backed right back up the driveway, or not even tried. Or taken the Mule (wish I had thought of that first...)

The people who got stuck went to work or school with perfectly dry roads, but after an hour of snow, too late! They let tens of thousands out to go home..too late. It's just slick ice everywhere. and just not that many snowplows or sander trucks down here. Like..less than 1% that exist in a typical normal snowy state or region.

Zogger the problem for our Southern area is we are not prepared for these emergencies and most do not know how to drive in the stuff. Even with some experience it can be a challenge. This storm did do its damage fast but it was reported that it was coming. I do maintenance for some homes in area so I try to warn the owners; mostly older and single ladies. Last freezing spell for our area, I gave notice of what was coming. Not fun fixing busted pipes in cold weather. One didn't take the hint. Pipes froze up, no ruining water but fortunately no busted pipe. This time she listened.

Like they said in the article, it doesn't matter what ya got, you ain't driving on ice with regular tires and no chains.

LMAO
Sorry I'm laughing... but we drive on it all the time with regular tires and no chains.
For many, many years we drove on it with those old rayon, nylon, steel, and fiberglass corded. bias ply tires... in rear wheel drive cars with grabby drum brakes no less.
Heck, I ran the same old bias ply street tires year 'round on my first car... a "light in the rear end", rear wheel drive, '66 Mustang with drum brakes‼ Sometimes a guy would throw an inner-tube filled with sand in the trunk for added traction when the snow got deep. But chains ruined the "slide 'round the corner" fun... chains were only for "country" roads and maybe ya' kept a set in the trunk to get un-stuck when pushing didn't work (I didn't have a set... I had enough trouble keeping gas in the darn thing, couldn't afford chains).

When I got my second car ('67 Galaxie XL with the 428 "Thunderbird" engine and an actual dual brake master cylinder... LOL) I was a bit more flush and had a set of snow tires for winter (still bias ply and no chains). That thing would whip cookies on dry pavement... the snow tires didn't help much.

addendum; Oh!... That Galaxie was the first car I went end-over-end in, ended up sliding down the pavement on the roof, and I still won the race‼ Won a whole ten bucks‼ That story made me near a legend for several years in my teens‼ L-O-L

Last edited:
Zogger the problem for our Southern area is we are not prepared for these emergencies and most do not know how to drive in the stuff. Even with some experience it can be a challenge. This storm did do its damage fast but it was reported that it was coming. I do maintenance for some homes in area so I try to warn the owners; mostly older and single ladies. Last freezing spell for our area, I gave notice of what was coming. Not fun fixing busted pipes in cold weather. One didn't take the hint. Pipes froze up, no ruining water but fortunately no busted pipe. This time she listened.

Yep, I got bit. Got one frozen cold water pipe. I WAS running both the hot and cold non stop for the last few days. Not just drips, an actual small stream. Still have one frozen now. There is no access except cutting holes in the floor, it is a truly nuts design.

As to driving, no one can drive on slick wet glare ice up and down hills without studded tires or chains. Doesn't matter, yankee or southerner, bias or radial, snow or street. Hard dry ice, it is possible *sometimes* on a case by case basis, wet slicked ice, nope.

Back