ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Snow

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Show us your snow.

Our second snow this season... more than the first.
I love it, but worry about getting to work when this happens.
I just put on extra layers, in case I slide off in a ditch and have to wait for a tow.
So glad I'm not a route carrier on days like this.

DSC05110.JPG DSC05111.JPG

ktmtigger

ktmtigger

ArboristSite Operative
Only an inch or so now
b47036a9b12adba29ee942b03928adbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Got a little last week but needed the dozer for the one before it
I was born and raised in the Hudson Valley and I recall we used to get some serious snow.
Do you recall the blizzard of 1978?
01-Blizzard-of-78.jpg
We lived across the street and about 1/2 mile from my high school and I had to walk down a long driveway then through the football field to get to school... sometimes through two feet of snow.
Ahh, the good 'ol days.
Sadly, I wonder if any future generations of school kids will have the pleasure of doing that... what with the trend towards home-schooling. :(

Oldmaple

Oldmaple

Addicted to ArboristSite
Blizzard of 78 I was working at a parking ramp. The two central stairways were enclosed with doors on each level. Someone had propped the door on the top level and the stairwell ended up with about 3 or 4 feet of snow in it. Had to shovel it all down to the next level below and then out the door to where the plow could get at it. Six levels worth, a little bit of sweat for $2.20 an hour. Used to plow the ramp with an International Scout pickup. Was plowing the sidewalk once and trying to ram a big pile of snow down the sidewalk between a concrete wall and a tall snowbank. Plow sprang up and I ran the truck up on top of the snow I was pushing and got stuck. Had to shovel it out and as I did I could only get one tire to touch the ground since it had so much snow packed underneath. Four wheel drive doesn't help much with only one tire on the ground. :nofunny:

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
Blizzard of 78 I was working at a parking ramp. The two central stairways were enclosed with doors on each level. Someone had propped the door on the top level and the stairwell ended up with about 3 or 4 feet of snow in it. Had to shovel it all down to the next level below and then out the door to where the plow could get at it. Six levels worth, a little bit of sweat for $2.20 an hour. Used to plow the ramp with an International Scout pickup. Was plowing the sidewalk once and trying to ram a big pile of snow down the sidewalk between a concrete wall and a tall snowbank. Plow sprang up and I ran the truck up on top of the snow I was pushing and got stuck. Had to shovel it out and as I did I could only get one tire to touch the ground since it had so much snow packed underneath. Four wheel drive doesn't help much with only one tire on the ground. :nofunny:
I had one truck for 34 years, all it needed is one tire on the ground to pull itself out of a stuck condition. Custom built in 1979 its still being driven today.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was home snug and warm during that blizzard, but our neighbor wasn't so lucky.
He had just flown in to JFK and was driving home from the airport (can't recall if it was taxi, bus, or his own vehicle) but made it just halfway across the bridge. He walked the 15+miles from there!

SS396driver

SS396driver

To much wood
I was born and raised in the Hudson Valley and I recall we used to get some serious snow.
Do you recall the blizzard of 1978?
View attachment 881133
We lived across the street and about 1/2 mile from my high school and I had to walk down a long driveway then through the football field to get to school... sometimes through two feet of snow.
Ahh, the good 'ol days.
Sadly, I wonder if any future generations of school kids will have the pleasure of doing that... what with the trend towards home-schooling. :(
Yup lived on long island at the time People were stuck on the LIE for days I had a 69 GMC 4x4 with a plow . The town of Brookhaven paid me to plow side streets made some good money .

But the ice storm of 73 was worse. We had no power for almost 3 weeks only heat was from a small woodstove my dad bought from a neighbor . We slept and pretty much lived in one room . Blocked all the door opening with blankets to keep the heat , had to keep the water running in all the faucets and shower/bathtubs antifreeze in all the toilets except the one next to the family room with the stove. Amazing none of the pipes froze. We did drain the baseboards and boiler they would have froze with no water movement
blizzard78.jpeg

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yup lived on long island at the time People were stuck on the LIE for days I had a 69 GMC 4x4 with a plow . The town of Brookhaven paid me to plow side streets made some good money .

But the ice storm of 73 was worse. We had no power for almost 3 weeks only heat was from a small woodstove my dad bought from a neighbor . We slept and pretty much lived in one room . Blocked all the door opening with blankets to keep the heat , had to keep the water running in all the faucets and shower/bathtubs antifreeze in all the toilets except the one next to the family room with the stove. Amazing none of the pipes froze. We did drain the baseboards and boiler they would have froze with no water movement
View attachment 881641
I don't remember that one... I was 16.
Oh, wait a minute, maybe that was the year my mom slipped on the ice in the driveway and broke her ankle.
I remember another time dad slipped on the ice getting the mail at the end of the driveway... still funny after all these years... we were headed somewhere, me, mom and dad, Dad stopped at the end of the driveway, got out of the car to cross the street to get the mail. It was late in the evening and dark outside.
Mom and I were sitting there, waiting, when mom says, "where the hell did your father go??"
Next thing we know dad opens the car door, brushing snow off his backside. he had slipped and fallen in the snow.

Not really funny, he could have broke something, but mom and I laughed our asses off - not because he fell, but because of what she said. :laughing:

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
I was home snug and warm during that blizzard, but our neighbor wasn't so lucky.
He had just flown in to JFK and was driving home from the airport (can't recall if it was taxi, bus, or his own vehicle) but made it just halfway across the bridge. He walked the 15+miles from there!

When my mom moved to an acreage, she'd rather me get stuck in a blizzard than miss a weekend visit, so I always had my cross-country skis in the back of the truck, in case I couldn't see the fence posts well enough to stay between them.

Only got stuck once, and it was in their yard. My guess as to where their drive was located was off by about 4 feet.

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
I remember my first day working in the snow, 130 kmh blizzard, I crawled on my hands & knees 1 kilometre to the job, there was no chance of getting lost as there was a bulldozed slot 3meters deep to follow, only 4 people out of 50 made it to work that day.