so how do you get saw chips out of socks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread brings up one of my pet peeves! chips in shoes, sox, etc. only thing worse, is burrs in sox from walking in pastures during grasses seeding times. 'ouch!' I can be walking my dog and all is well. then suddenly he stops. looks at me... and lifts up his front paw, or indicates rear. I feel for the burr. once removed... we continue.

chips from sawing. and grass 'chip's from weed wacking! I do not like either. and weed wacking in the country up at the farm... fence lines... knees to toes... gray work pants become green!

for me it is a simple solution. steel toed boots. almost always rubber. convenience. and pants over the top. this formula works quite well for me. still, sometimes, somehow...I get an invader. usually stop and fix. if cutting large stuff or a lot, chaps. not for chip avoidance, more so just a safety issue. Stihl orange! even have a matching vest. since I cut when the wood shows up, all that can make for a hot afternoon. when sawing in warm months, sweating and getting wet is part of the deal! I cut in shade of the day, or later in day when sun less offensive. sometime put up beach umbrella, too. that does cool things down.

just got in some new boots couple days ago. PA290016.JPG

When it is 80 F plus I put on my shorts and do not think about long pants. I cut about 25 cords last summer and got some pretty good rays. Taped up the home made gaiters and plenty of sunscreen. At 6,000 sun feels pretty intense. It helped to start at 5 AM though. I do not cut much brush or limbs so knee pads and shorts can work well. Its has been five years since I saw another person anywhere near my forest cutting area so fashion is not much of a concern. Thanks

hmm, well... was just wondering what does... the well dressed lumberjack wear? :popcorn2:

zlj.jpg

Good old hunter wellies work great when weedwhacken’ even in shorts. Great for trekking through tall wet grass as well. Fashionable… no. Functional…yes! No socks required.

https://www.hunterboots.com/us/en_us/mens-tall-rain-boots/mens-original-tall-rain-boots/green/749

sharp boots! I like. just din like the price! I got mine off Amazon, used cc credits. total cost, including shipping!: $0.00 :happybanana:

I guess the sox issue - to sox or not to sox - is a matter of personal choice. and... in thinking about the OP's initial question... chips in sox? no sox is then a no-brainer. by default! lol

however, not sure the manufacturer would agree with you. off their site:

We recommend that all Hunter boots be worn with socks to protect the wearer's skin from contact with rubber. All Hunter Boot Socks are specially designed for use with our boot range and feature a fold over top to cover the rubber and nylon boot edge, preventing any rubbing associated with wear.

I really need a picture of this, but my dog gets the chips out of my socks. He will lay and wait for me to take my socks off. I can lay the socks across my leg and he will start sneaking over just waiting for me to look away. He will start watching me as soon as I take my shoes off. As soon as he sees an opportunity, he graps the socks and runs. He will flip and shake the socks, tossing them in the air all the way to his bed, were he will lay there and mouth the socks until he tires. If I try to take the socks away, he will grab them in his mouth and run away, into the kitchen, around the table and back into the living room, then around the coffee table and back into the kitchen, and repeat until cornered. Usually takes two to trap him. Once I get my socks back, there are no more chips. He also like to sneak into the laundry room and will pull socks out of those little holes in the side of the laundry basket. When he was a pup he would actually eat a sock if you didnt get it away fro him. Now he just likes to hold it in his mouth. Underware isnt safe from him either. My other dog wont mess with a sock, but he will chase me while I am chasing the other dog and grab my pants leg to prevent me from catching the one with the sock. It takes about two laps thru the kitchen before the wife interfers and gets the socks away from the dog.

I really need a picture of this, but my dog gets the chips out of my socks. He will lay and wait for me to take my socks off. I can lay the socks across my leg and he will start sneaking over just waiting for me to look away. He will start watching me as soon as I take my shoes off. As soon as he sees an opportunity, he graps the socks and runs. He will flip and shake the socks, tossing them in the air all the way to his bed, were he will lay there and mouth the socks until he tires. If I try to take the socks away, he will grab them in his mouth and run away, into the kitchen, around the table and back into the living room, then around the coffee table and back into the kitchen, and repeat until cornered. Usually takes two to trap him. Once I get my socks back, there are no more chips. He also like to sneak into the laundry room and will pull socks out of those little holes in the side of the laundry basket. When he was a pup he would actually eat a sock if you didnt get it away fro him. Now he just likes to hold it in his mouth. Underware isnt safe from him either. My other dog wont mess with a sock, but he will chase me while I am chasing the other dog and grab my pants leg to prevent me from catching the one with the sock. It takes about two laps thru the kitchen before the wife interfers and gets the socks away from the dog.

too funny! :laughing:

wish I could, but that would be just pure fantasy!

I cant think of a day all year yet that started above 60 or stayed above 60 and it is May 23rd current temp is 56 degrees and windy.

I spend a bunch of time cutting below 10 , and a day or two that saw a high of 3 , I am sort of a fair weather cutter I like it above 0 and below 50 but up to the 60s will do.

25 is real nice , so long as the snow isn't too deep nor the wind blowing too hard.

my splitter objects to splitting below about 10 degrees but the saws run great at 10.

sharp boots! I like. just din like the price! I got mine off Amazon, used cc credits. total cost, including shipping!: $0.00 :happybanana:

I guess the sox issue - to sox or not to sox - is a matter of personal choice. and... in thinking about the OP's initial question... chips in sox? no sox is then a no-brainer. by default! lol

however, not sure the manufacturer would agree with you. off their site:

We recommend that all Hunter boots be worn with socks to protect the wearer's skin from contact with rubber. All Hunter Boot Socks are specially designed for use with our boot range and feature a fold over top to cover the rubber and nylon boot edge, preventing any rubbing associated with wear.

Bah.. Next they are going to tell me to follow Dr. orders. I have a pair of wellies that are close to two decades old and they have been through just about the most miserable stuff I can imagine. Still goin’ strong and I don’t think they have seen a sock yet. I used to wear socks with my smokejumpers but they really aggravated my feet. Just wash your foot gear out weekly with a T spoon of baking soda and cool H20. Peets boot dryer and you are good to go. Yes, I do this with my aldens as well.

. . for me it is a simple solution. steel toed boots. almost always rubber. . . . that can make for a hot afternoon. when sawing in warm months . . .
I have a pair of the rubber Viking / Husqvarna / Oregon chainsaw protective boots that are great for cutting in the winter, or marshy conditions, but a bit clumsy for walking over rough terrain, and a bit hot in the summer.

They are some of the least expensive chainsaw protective boots (typically $120 or so - I got mine on clearance for $70, so watch for deals).

Screen shot 2019-05-23 at 12.32.39 PM.png

Philbert

I use Labonville chainsaw boots with a Kevlar tongue and steel toe caps. They were pricey (about $220) but worth every penny. While I don't use them daily, I do use them several times during the week and often all day on my days off from my paycheck earning job. Very stout boots and I've beat the crap out of them for nearly 3 years and still plenty of life remaining.

GuD68XB.jpg

I'm also looking into getting a pair of Filson Tin Pants to wear outside while working, mostly because I'm tired of my wife complain that I ruin ever pair of jeans I own. I'm like "honey, jeans are friggin' work pants, they were THE original work pant".

I use Labonville chainsaw boots with a Kevlar tongue and steel toe caps.
Nice boots. I wish more places carried boots like that. I have trouble with fit and like to try them on, which is harder with mail order. Many of the Haix chainsaw boots are $300 - $350, so that is a good price too, for a well-made pair of boots.
https://www.haixusa.com/chainsaw-boots

Philbert

I use Labonville chainsaw boots with a Kevlar tongue and steel toe caps. They were pricey (about $220) but worth every penny. While I don't use them daily, I do use them several times during the week and often all day on my days off from my paycheck earning job. Very stout boots and I've bread the crap out of them for nearly 3 years and still plenty of life.

GuD68XB.jpg

I'm also looking into getting a pair of Filson Tin Pants to wear outside while working, mostly because I'm tired of my wife complain that I ruin ever pair of jeans I own. I'm like "honey, jeans are friggin' work pants, they were THE original work pant".

Not much up on fashion but if you are looking for cheap jeans, dungarees.net sells factory 2nd Carhartt’s for $20 clams. If they got your size, 3 pair will run you $60 bills shipped to your door for free. Cant beat that with a stick.

https://dungarees.com/carhartt-b18-denim-traditional-fit-jean

Dot point 1: Get a new wife that understands.

Dot point 2: Why does she care? She doesn't have to wear your socks and by staying safely housed in your socks, those chips are not clogging up the washer, dryer, vacuum, iron, dishwasher, oven, sewing machine and whatever else it is that women use. I'm sure she can incorporate the chips in there when she's darning your socks. I just don't see the problem.

ps. Please don't tell Cowgirl that I said any of that stuff, thanks in advance.
I'm not allowed to wash my socks with any other clothes. Some how all of the saw dust winds up in my wife's bra. She is not entertained. And since I do most of my milling and firewood in shorts and crocks, my socks are always full.

Not much up on fashion but if you are looking for cheap jeans, dungarees.net sells factory 2nd Carhartt’s for $20 clams. If they got your size, 3 pair will run you $60 bills shipped to your door for free. Cant beat that with a stick.

https://dungarees.com/carhartt-b18-denim-traditional-fit-jean

I'm hardly the fashion setter, and those are certainly a good deal. The thing is, to me there are no work jeans and nice jeans, there's only jeans. Spousal unit does not understand this bizarre concept and thusly gets disappointed when I get motor oil, or grease on jeans, or wear holes in them.

Enter the Tin Pants, they are extremely durable, waterproof, highly abrasion resistant, and best of all - you don't wash them! They're not cheap either, but I've been eyeing up a pair for a while now...

https://www.filson.com/oil-finish-single-tin-pants.html#sku=11014005-fco-000002060

Nice boots. I wish more places carried boots like that. I have trouble with fit and like to try them on, which is harder with mail order. Many of the Haix chainsaw boots are $300 - $350, so that is a good price too, for a well-made pair of boots.
https://www.haixusa.com/chainsaw-boots

Philbert
Way above my pay grade, but very nice boots.:cool:

Back