So I "stole" two ol' Pioneer/Partner muscle saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worth restoring?

• Yes, full restoration

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No, but fully correct

• No, keep as a decoration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Junk it, don't even send it to me

• Total voters

Matt Thompson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, longtime lurker, rare poster. But I just scored a couple Frankensaws that I'm gonna need help with. Only $100 for BOTH (hence "stole" in the title)

First saw: Model P52-CB, orange crankcase, had yellow starter cover (swapped with other saw) and Farmsaw handle with Pioneer/Partner cover. Bar is about 18", at least compared to my 20" on my P-20. After getting her home, I noticed she was drooling bar oil when I started removing the starter cover. I thought hmmm... Maybe she's not been sitting THAT long. Sure enough, she fired up after a couple pulls and quickly ran out or otherwise quit. My understanding is that the Farmsaw was basically a P-38. No oil trigger.

Second saw is also mismatched. P62-SH. Yellow crankcase, had both orange covers (swapped) and green handle with black filter cover. Bob. Studs are too big for the 20" I put on my P-20. Brake bar is bent, but cover is orange so I may try and swap out. Has oil trigger.

So does anyone know what the "CB" and "SH" stand for? Are these color variants, or chain brake options? Both have a half handle but I plan on putting a full wrap on the 62 once I get her running. May keep the 52 as is, unless I can find a more correct upper for cheap.

These came from a logger in Groton, New York, so I suspect that they MAY have come from my uncle Bud's shop in Auburn years ago. But I haven't been there since he retired and now that he has passed away I don't have a knowledgeable source for the old Pioneers.

Also got grand-dad's 1072 and dad's P-20, need a bulb for the Holiday II if anyone knows where I can get one. Thanks guys!

Get The Gullet,

Matt

There has to be new parts for these older pioneers and partners somewhere. I found new air filters for the partner saws in Italy. The price was ok but the shipping killed me. Looks like my italian cousins don’t understand combined shipping. My old man told me to watch out for my own kind.

I believe in going through them once what ever they need. Fire them up, make a few pie cuts, drain the gas and park them.

It’s like I’m restoring the older vintage husky dirtbikes again, I enjoy the hunt and challenge to find the parts that’s the most fun to hear the aircooled fin ring again. The ride is the icing on the cake.

There are definitely parts. But I've got to dig into them to make sure they even are what I think they are. The serial plates might not even be right so the only real way to go is check cylinder size. A lot of the P-series larger than 3-cube have many interchangeable cosmetics.

But the Holiday II is a bit harder, so I was hoping someone might know of a bulb that would work.

The P-20 only needs another filter cover, and I found one for $50. That's as much as one of these muscle saws! So she will have to wait for another day before I get back to her.

The gas cap on the orange monster was swelled up so once I finally got it out with a strap wrench, I dumped the moonshine gas and filled it to the top with that expensive premix 40:1, and swapped the gas caps. The cap from the 62 still fits nice so I'm hoping it stays that way. She sliced through an old tree lying out back all summer pretty quick with the 73 chain left on it. Not much tooth left but sharp enough for now. And it is a 20" but my 20" is 72 (0.050" gauge) so I'm stuck with the thicker Sandvik bar for now.

Man, I talk too much.

Also, orange monster's mismatched handle is broke at the kill switch, which also doesn't work. Took forever to get it started once I flooded it with the choke. Once I get the clutch changed and a new chain she should be cutting through the last of my dead balsams soon enough!

When you search for parts try reversing your search so different parts will come up.

Back