So I was trimming this palm tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Diary Part 2 of 7

attachment.php

attachment.php
This is a warning from those unhappy souls who have died and been buried in graves to anybody who owns a chainsaw.

attachment.php
It does not matter whether you are a giant or a star climber, if you are thinking of trimming palms you need to read and heed this warning.

Dear Diary Part 3 of 7

attachment.php

attachment.php
Giant dogs with huge front paws will make a meal of your remains,

attachment.php
because they won’t be able to fit your corpse into a coffin once a killer palm tree has bent you in half and choked you to death.

Dear Diary Part 4 of 7

attachment.php

attachment.php
You will be whole and healthy when you start work in the morning,

attachment.php
but you will end the day headed for the grave and you will not fill your coffin,

attachment.php
because a really bad thing will happen and there will be less of you and your favorite bits will be buried in a separate grave, by themselves.

Dear Diary Part 5 of 7

attachment.php

attachment.php
If you try to prune the flowering heads of a phoenix palm with a rear handled saw your spirit will be eternally unhappy because you won’t even get buried.

attachment.php
Instead you will lie forever in a bed of thorns because no one will ever be able to recover your body from the crown of the palm tree.

Dear Diary Part 6 of 7

attachment.php

attachment.php
You will find yourself in a world of grief if you attempt to prune any tree with a chainsaw off a ladder and ultimately you will find yourself in a grave.

attachment.php
You must be on drugs if you think you can prune a phoenix palm by climbing it with a pole belt.

Dear Diary Part 7 of 7

attachment.php

attachment.php
If you ignore this safety warning you could possibly injure one arm so badly it will be mincemeat and your other arm will wave goodbye to you, as you watch it and one and a halflegs fall to the ground.

attachment.php
You will become a quadruple amputee who spends all day screaming for more drugs to control the pain.

Dear Diary Part 8 of 7

While our ambitions have not yet been realised we know our efforts have not been in vain. The search for a safe and economical method for pruning CI date palms will go on. Tomorrow I have a meeting with the man they call ‘the slayer’. He has a reputation of great courage. Apparently he has a proposal for trimming CI Date Palms he wishes to discuss with me.

I must go and check on the men now. Roots condition has deteriorated further. Despite the cold, he is constantly sweating and his hands shake uncontrollably. The Doc thinks it may be full blown palm fever or ‘The Fear’ as it is known in tropical parts of the world.

In God we trust
:givebeer::cheers::popcorn:

attachment.php
If you ignore this safety warning you could possibly injure one arm so badly it will be mincemeat and your other arm will wave goodbye to you, as you watch it and one and a halflegs fall to the ground.

If you Jomoco or Jeff ever catch this on video on hel-cam we would love you to post this on here as other promised vid seems reticent. This would be for instructional purposes only :))) ofcourse.

Being respectful of my (Nephite) elders I shall henceforth leave my spurs at home and prune CI Dates with a bucket or a polesaw. Oh wait, that's what I already do. :chainsaw:

Feel good young man, for someday you may have to actually climb one. Hope you dont get scared!
Jeff

Feel good bragging man for someday you may actually have to get out of the office chair and climb anything at all. Hope you don't get scared! Or get a blister on your soft pudgy hands.

Last edited:
Dear Diary

Dear Diary,

I have met with the one they call the slayer. His reputation is an understatement. What is true, is that what he lacks in sanity, he more than makes up for with suicidal recklessness. His proposal was based on us building a ladder long enough to reach over the top of a Phoenix with a climbing rope suspended from it. He would then rappel head first down the rope, using his feet to control his prussic, and prune the flowering heads off a CI date palm by swinging a chainsaw around his head. While the idea did have some theatrical merit, I vetoed it because there was no available second tip.

Somehow this led to a rumour being started in the camp that I had vetoed the idea because CI date palms can leap from the ground and pluck climbers from the air. Doc further exacerbated the resulting hysteria by showing a horror film of a Washingtonia robusta that appeared to do exactly that. After hearing the rumour and then watching the film, Roots had to be confined under sedation in the medical tent, for his own safety.

On the subject of questionable sanity an intriguing missive has reached me from Jomoco. A self proclaimed paragon of worker safety, he related what he considered to be an amusing anecdote. It was about an untrained groundie being lent climbing equipment by members of Jomoco’s own family. The punch line of his story was that after suffering life threatening injuries, the workers physical appearance improved as a result of prolonged treatment involving plastic surgery. I found this in very poor taste. Furthermore he is still focused on palmates rather than pinnates which is the point, (pardon the pun) of our quest.

In God we trust
:givebeer::cheers::popcorn:

Last edited:
Thanks treeMDS, I have not climbed production in 5 years, But I never before that had dis-respect for those who move up. My experience helps me and and my guys. They dont need a young, eager, manager with little or no experience of climbing telling them what to do.
Jeff

Respect is a two way street. From the very start of this thread first Jomoco and then yourself poured scorn on anyone who pruned CI Dates with a polesaw. It's a little late to start crying about being disrespected.

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen princess.

I never scorned anyone. Get it straight fair maiden. For some reason, you dont like me, I dont care, but I and Jon and many others have done what we say, and you think we lie because we did not bring a production crew (video production crew), I dont plan the day with that in mind. In the mean-time, I dont lie and I have met Jon, you have not. We dont lie. If we say we do it , we do it.( in my case, did it) Probably more times than you ever wiped your butt. Yeah, Respect is a two way street.
Jeff
Happy New Year

I never scorned anyone. Get it straight fair maiden. For some reason, you dont like me, I dont care, but I and Jon and many others have done what we say, and you think we lie because we did not bring a production crew (video production crew), I dont plan the day with that in mind. In the mean-time, I dont lie and I have met Jon, you have not. We dont lie. If we say we do it , we do it.( in my case, did it) Probably more times than you ever wiped your butt. Yeah, Respect is a two way street.
Jeff
Happy New Year

Oh yes you do! Either that or the pressure of your office chair is cutting off the circulation to your brain.

Here in post #16 is your bf's first stab at almost everyone on the planet that prunes CI dates.

Followed by post #32 where you back your boy up and by default cast the same aspersions of unprofessionalism at the same group of arborists.

jefflovstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomoco
Yeah, well there are obviously thousands of pros capable of pruning or removing date palms without getting impaled by them, even after pruning thousands of them for decades.

Brush up on your pruning techniques and put away the stupid polesaws!

Nothing about palms are easy, and date palms will separate the men from the boys real quick in my experience here in SoCal.

A pole saw to prune a date palm practically guarantees a trip to the hospital.

All you need is a sharp midsize chainsaw like a 262 xp husky, saddle and gaffs with a steelcore lanyard and the right technique.

Fan palms kill far more climbers here than date palms do.

jomoco

Jon is right here, and cool pics of palms that are not canary dates!
Jeff
Hundreds of dates and only 2 incidents.
Jeff

You were hardcore only a fortnight ago. Don't get all whiny on us now. If you have a safer working technique it would take an hour to throw on some spurs and take a couple of photo's. Come on Lovstrom. With all that experience surely you can remember which side of your boot the spurs go on....

Lordy...give it a break guys...to each his own, the point has been made, literally for some of us...
I STILL hate CI date palms, and finding a technique that may save me from those thorns will NOT make me like them any more, cause the thorns are still there, lurking, plotting, waiting...:mad:

Let's all have some:cheers::cheers:

Ta ta now :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back