So I was trimming this palm tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, well there are obviously thousands of pros capable of pruning or removing date palms without getting impaled by them, even after pruning thousands of them for decades.

Brush up on your pruning techniques and put away the stupid polesaws!

Nothing about palms are easy, and date palms will separate the men from the boys real quick in my experience here in SoCal.

A pole saw to prune a date palm practically guarantees a trip to the hospital.

All you need is a sharp midsize chainsaw like a 262 xp husky, saddle and gaffs with a steelcore lanyard and the right technique.

Fan palms kill far more climbers here than date palms do.

jomoco

I wonder where Jon is.
Jeff

quit #####ing and just prune the damn tree and get the check at the end of the day. if the thorns bug you soo much then charge more. i add on $50 to palms that have thorns and get most of the jobs. home owners are understanding when i explain.

Thanks treeMDS, I have not climbed production in 5 years, But I never before that had dis-respect for those who move up. My experience helps me and and my guys. They dont need a young, eager, manager with little or no experience of climbing telling them what to do.
Jeff

old post but what the hay - deserves a like

Jon was an interesting guy.

Dear Diary,

It has been 2 days since the expedition by our colleagues Jomoco & Lovstrom departed in search of the hallowed "Old School Method for Pruning CI Date Palms".
I worry for their well being for we have had no word in the past day.
The men are in high spirits, but that subversive 'Doc' has been telling stories around the campfire. Roots has said he's staying away from skirt and this concerns me. He could go the same way as SoMe of the other men.
The popcorn supplies are holding up ok but we had to send runners for soda.
In God we trust.
:givebeer::cheers::popcorn:

:dizzy:

Dear Diary,

DISASTER!!!
At dusk last night some of the men found an outgrowth of C. indica. In the ensuing fracas the entire beer ration and most of the popcorn rations were lost. If TMD hears about this, (and the Dan hears everything), the men may learn that the 'Sticks and Stones' idiom is wildly inaccurate. Runners have been dispatched.

Morale has begun flagging. Treevet, our spiritual leader, has been trying to shore up the men's spirits by showing old Patrick Swayze movies, although he remains ideologically opposed to our quest.

On a more positive note we have received word back from the Jomoco Lovstrom expedition. Reports are sketchy but some progress is being made. It is clear that the strain is affecting Jomoco as he addressed me as a woman throughout his last missive. I reassured him of my and the men's continued support for his mission. As always we pray to God for their safe and speedy return.

In God we trust.

Funny!
Jeff on a Sunday morning reading archives. :biggrin:

Dear Diary,
Why didn’t I listen to my wife? She told me I was crazy to embark on a venture such as this, with a company composed only of Arborists. After more than a week in the wilderness, we have enough firewood to put an Arborist on the moon, but do you think any-one will do the dishes? The only woman in our company, Bermie, is no help at all. If anyone even mentions dishes within earshot of her, she guns her chainsaw and laughs manically.

It has come to my attention that NC has an ongoing ‘condition’. In his own words, he has been ‘nuts his whole life’. Given the early age of diagnosis one must question the wisdom of whoever taught this man how to use a chainsaw.

This endless waiting combined with the festivities is beginning to become predictable. Every evening of inebriated merriment gives way to a morning of bleakness and hangover somehow worse than the last. Despair over the lack of progress in the Jomoco Lovstrom expedition kicks in by late afternoon and this in turn, leads back to inebriation.

In God we trust

:hmm3grin2orange:
Jeff

Honestly. You boys have the worst excuses. In the BS sweepstakes I had money on "the dog ate my homework".

What is wrong with posting your own work? There is no surer indication of insecurity than having to borrow names to lend yourselves credibility.

If I ask a question of Treeseer or John Paul Sanborn or Treevet or Olddirty or Ropensaddle or any one of a dozen seasoned veterans they can post a picture of their own work in an hour. I don't put myself in their class but my pictures are up there to be picked apart too. But you pair of "palm experts" have so little of your own evidence that you have to borrow a video of another climber that is so old its in VHS?

I bring this up because I really think you are back on AS with a different name,, maybe the word 'expert' is in your handle. You know who you are.
Jeff :rock:

I never scorned anyone. Get it straight fair maiden. For some reason, you dont like me, I dont care, but I and Jon and many others have done what we say, and you think we lie because we did not bring a production crew (video production crew), I dont plan the day with that in mind. In the mean-time, I dont lie and I have met Jon, you have not. We dont lie. If we say we do it , we do it.( in my case, did it) Probably more times than you ever wiped your butt. Yeah, Respect is a two way street.
Jeff
Happy New Year

If you are here with a different name,,Well, same.
Jeff

Back