So many giant trees...what to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somanytrees

Reaction score
My wife and I have been in the same house for the last 30 years, and will probably spend at least another 10 years here. When we moved in, the lot was pretty heavily wooded, and despite thinning of trees over the years, things just seem to be overgrown.

It's an acre+ lot in the suburbs outside of Boston, and probably 60% is covered in large hardwoods (up to 70+ feet tall and 28" in diameter). A couple large ones are dead, and overall, they all tower over the house and the yard (and over powerlines). Because the canopy of the trees are so high, they provide no privacy - just shade (in all the wrong places), and *lots* of leaves. There's undergrowth that provides some privacy during the summer, but they tend to be nuisance trees. Overall, it's a jungle.

There's a part of me that is thinking having someone just come in and clear cut the lot, and then put in trees and shrubs that are going to be easier to maintain (slow growing species with limited height).

Is this a bad idea?

Mike

Mature trees typically add value to a residential property when they've been taken care of.

I would recommend having a qualified Arborist come in and remove the dead trees and prune the rest for safety. Some of the understory trees could be cleared for more room while saving the ones which provide privacy.

your lot to do as you see fit...but yeah, people pay extra for mature trees. But you aren't looking to sell, so maybe that doesn't matter.

Maybe there are a few trees that can be removed so you get a little more light below while maintaining the character of a wooded lot? Again, a qualified arborist can help you evaluate each. Look to pay for a consultation. If you just call the company with the biggest advertisement for "cheap tree removal", I can tell you what they will recommend. The consulting arborist you have reviewing the trees may not even do the removals - you are just looking for input:
*which are the strongest trees
*which will or will not respond to being thinned around
*which will require more or less maintenance over the years
*what are some shade-tolerant species that you can plant to increase privacy screening

Latest posts

Back