So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypo Logger said:
You mean the "Scuze Me While I Kiss This Guy", TShirt?
Not sure, but I think I saw some dude wearing it at a gay pride parade and was eating a Big Mac.

Anyway, here's what I did today. I dumped an Ash tree and sawed thru the holdingwood, just because I could.
John

After careful examination of the video it appears you failed in your goal of sawing through the holding wood. But it does appear that you forgot to put the chain brake on when running scared.

Hey Ekka.nice porty vid.I havent heard the sound so no comments there but i noticed the japanese saftey boots do you have an orange singlet and cut proof shorts to go with them? A porty or a block dropped on toesees OUCH!!!
Today i floped a medium Euc and Habitated a dead Euc (Remove dead head) and attempted to chip a wattle covered in Dodder.

Cool pics, we dont really get that dodder stuff here, weird stuff.

Looks like you could belt the heads of those dead eucs out, cool. You've been around a long time, since 2001 and I rarely come across your posts.

Big difference between Tassie and here in what the trees are, how about winter ... much work?

TreeCo said:
Gypo tell Ekka that you weren't running scared............you were running to the bank!

No he wasn't, he was priary doggin as he's full of sheet and running for this
cory.jpg

My biggest removal

This tree was the biggest, most technical removal I've ever done manually. The first day went great, tomorrow is the big wood. I've got some pics, but this is also my first attempt at posting pictures, so bear with me.

The base is probably 40-44" dbh. My tie in point maybe 70' (Love the Big Shot).

The shot with the crane is deceptive. It was just dragging and pivoting the stuff once it got to the ground. The company I was climbing for didn't want to get a bigger crane in the yard. 140' of stick probably would have reached the whole tree.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind words, fellas. I'm afraid I under bid myself. I'm getting $50/hr to do this tree. I originally estimated the tree taking a full two days at least, and was thinking of a payday closer to $1000. I'll probably walk away with $800-900, but thats with finishing today out by doing some pruning around the house. Oh well.

The guy bid the job for $6000. I probably would have bid it for my company for about $3500.

The groundman who ran the rope for me all day (he's this company's main climber) paid me a huge compliment. At one point he said, "I believe you're the best climber I've ever seen." And he know several of the areas top competition climbers, including one of the guys who taught me. Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty proud this morning. :)

iain, could that not have been felled? nice job tho. i hate lombardys, good to play with big lumps when your in a platform tho and your not attached to the bloody things.

Day 2 (Electric Bugaloo)

Here are some shots from today with the spar. Two cuts, One chunk off the top then the log. Then they comenced to slice it into pieces the crane could manage. The guy with the saw was my rope man the day before. The thing was more like 48-50" dbh.

PRUNER 1 said:
iain, could that not have been felled? nice job tho. i hate lombardys, good to play with big lumps when your in a platform tho and your not attached to the bloody things.

i wish!! it was bad in the middle and the remainder had divided into multiples so i stripped the canopy first down to 30' ish before i dropped it

Quite a night for me, was out till 3:00 AM.

The Company I work for is contracted by 3 Hydro Companies, and one City Contract.
I was called out on our city contract around 4:00 PM to remove hangers from over the roads, that took me till 6:00 PM or so.

Just as I was sitting down to dinner, (7:30), I got called out to one of our Hydro Contracts, somewhere out in the boonies, a large ash hung up over a service wire, no nearby trees to tie into, so up the ladder we went, (I hate ladders). That one came down no problem.

Second call was for a poplar that had come down, it fell, up an escarpment, and the top 45' of it was leaning against a 3 phase 17KV primary, a 3 phase 8KV secondary, and the main Bell and Cable lines that feed the city. It took the Hydro 1.5 hours to de-energize the lines for us. Again there was nothing to climb near it, so we put our ropes into a scabby Manitoba Maple nearby, was a large swing but better than falling on the ground. cleared all the branches we could from the limbs that were hung up.

Started making our cut into the first limb, (back cutting with the pressure of the lines) got about 1" into a 10" piece and the pressure snapped the limb, it flew about 50' down the escarpment, lots of tension, he last remaining limb was over the homeowners shed and pond, and made it quite clear we could not damage either. So we decided to try the slingshot again, this limb was a bit bigger, around 15" thick. I put a rope on the tip and went down the hill to put a pull on it, again my climber got a couple inches into his cut, and BOOM, sounded like a gunshot, it snapped and flew so fast I couldn't see it go, (it was pitch black). All I heard was it hit the ground, somewhere WAY down the hill, after that it was just a matter of undercutting the stalk and getting it off the bell lines.

All in all an interesting night, and I get today off. Sorry for the long story but it was exciting.

KentuckySawyer said:
Here are some shots from today with the spar. Two cuts, One chunk off the top then the log. Then they comenced to slice it into pieces the crane could manage. The guy with the saw was my rope man the day before. The thing was more like 48-50" dbh.[/QUote

good shots !!

if we worked with out full safety kit on, over this side of the pond and then showed the photos, we would have our government saftey department down our throats in a flash

iain said:
if we worked with out full safety kit on, over this side of the pond and then showed the photos, we would have our government saftey department down our throats in a flash

Well, this is essentially the South. You don't have to be licensed to work here (anywhere in Kentucky I think). There are so many toothless Hoosiers running around here with saws and pickup trucks that any sort of enforcement would be tough.

Not to justify it though. The guys I worked for that day had no ear or eye protection. The two guys working directly under me all day did have hardhats on though.

Education is expensive. Death is forever.

Back