So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to dump 3000lbs of pine chunks. Had to put off a spikeless Acer Sacc. trim job a day. So I'm a day behind schedule. Called in a crane/tree company to price and do a 1200 oak. Maybe well swap out spikeless climbing and crane work. Got a weeping willow to top no spikes This comming week. Its a tuff climb and I know how weak willow is, still I believe drop crotch pruing them is best.

Tree co you suggest I should allow the willow to out grow itself and break off below where all willows break, about breast height. What is the modulous of rupture of a willow tree co do you know? im not totally topping only removeing two forks. On this multistemed tree most Willow I've seen have included bark or other weak issues with it. One of the forks go into the house the other fork goes over the neighbors car. I'll throwball straigh to my target branch and cut the limb upside down. THis is one tree I wish I had a bucket. :rolleyes:

I had a great idea today to save time. So, I thought! I rented a dumping trailer today for a removal. When it came time to fell the tree I had the idea of felling the tree into the trailer while the trailer was in the up position. I made a 6:1 mechanical advantage pulley system with a lock on it. I made my notch shallow so that when the tree was pulled over it would gently lay into the trailer bed.

Well, I pulled it about one foot from the trailer bed and I was at the end of system. (The pulleys stopping eachother from moving any further) So, I had to release the tree with the saw. Where I made my notch the diameter was a little over 3'. The height of the rest of the tree was only about 12'.

What happened next never crossed my mind as to what could have happened. My truck was slightly down hill, maybe a 1% grade. When the tree hit the trailer, it poped my truck out of gear (e-brake broken), rolled the truck and trailer into a car! Good news. The customer collects cars for scrap. I counted nearly 12 Datsun 280Z's in his yard. The one I rolled into was not to worry about. The customer didn't care.

So, I had a great plan to cut a corner and didn't see that one comming. (See attachment for graphic example)

TreeCo said:
Heck, naw...just sounds like one of those "calculated challenges" that got a little squirrely. Sounds like you had a great idea to me; slowly lay it over into the bed, sounds like it was pretty well controlled. Only thing not well controlled was the truck...next time it should work...let us know :)

(and thanks for sharing something that didn't go right...helps me to think about "what else is there to go wrong?")

TreeCo said:
That sounds like something I'd try but be careful shock loading hydraulic systems. Pop a hose and that dump trailer closes like a mouse trap bending the frame etc. I've got a dump trailer and love it.

Dan
I made a very impulsive move today and bought a 12 ton tandom axle dump trailer that hooks behind my tractor and works off the hydrualics. It will hold two cords and has removable sides so I can cart logs or random length firewood. It will hold at least 1000bf of roundwood.
I'll take some pictures after I prep the floor and sides with plywood so as not to dent the metal from dumping blocks into it. It knocked the hell out of 8 grand, but hey, I can borrow money and pay interest, but they can't take my soul.
John

Secured 2 more jobs one of which has to wait on tax returns.
Being C.A. is finally paying off. Also make a contact with a master gardner who will introduce me @ her next garden club meeting. I could talk for hours about trees.

Nice crane KentuckySawer. Thats a huge pic dude what did it weight? about 2 grand. What size crane is that a 30 tonn

xtremetrees said:
Nice crane KentuckySawer. Thats a huge pic dude what did it weight? about 2 grand. What size crane is that a 30 tonn

I don't know how much that piece weighed, but it was probably 16" where I cut it. Silver Maple. Three tons?
That guy has a 23 ton crane I think. 100' main boom and 40' jib. It isn't mine. He's an independent operator.

Latest posts

Back