So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tall tree no room

Tree_Pro in action J-MAX in the tree doing removal J-Max knows his trade and is one of the best climbers around. put of few more in pic forum Jm

I use a sixteen foot pole saw, wooden handle, and was able to pluck many dead branches and twigs from five red oaks as I trimmed them. To me ladder and wooden pole saw says tree man.

I use a sixteen foot pole saw, wooden handle, and was able to pluck many dead branches and twigs from five red oaks as I trimmed them today. To me ladder and wooden pole saw says tree man.

You would think that going on vacation means getting away from tree work for awhile. Not in my world. My Dad owns a lawn care business here in Florida and he told me before I came down that he'd booked a tree job for me, so I packed my saddle, a rope and a couple Silky saws to bring down.

Last week we did the job he had scheduled, and "Oh, there's one other tree job I came across." which we did. And then, as always happens, a passerby stops and asks if we can give a quote, which turned into a 20" DBH pine takedown for the next day. We were having fun, a Father and son bonding experience with good cashflow.

This week, same deal. Dad says, "We've got two more trim jobs." which, by 2:00 that afternoon we'd finished and another passerby stops and says, "Hey, can you guys give me a quote...." which we bid, sold and did that afternoon. We got home about an hour after dark to my Mom scolding me for keeping Dad out too long and that he's too old to be working this hard. Dad chuckled.

Then TODAY we had another takedown, a 60 foot macrocarpus alongside some 14 kilovolt lines and next to a wall and a screened-in lanai; juicy, juicy stuff. Dad has a Husky 35O, 18" and I put an exceptionally mean sharpening on the chain and did the entire tree with that saw.

I was in the mood today to climb SRT and there were a couple parts, down low, where I sorta wished I'd had spikes, but I got through it. I crowned it out, then cleared the brush in the morning. Took a few hours off to have lunch and be lazy at poolside (I'm on vacation remember.....) and in the afternoon schlaughtered the rest of it. I set up a time-lapse camera for both phases, then combined them into one time-lapse video for you cats.

I'm glad I could share my 'relaxing' vacation day with you guys.

I'm gonna go visit Skwerl in Orlando the day after tomorrow.

Hmm. Won't load for me :bang: I always enjoy your movies too. Oh yeah, thanks for the footlocking video that you posted in another thread. I haven't put my Pantin on since!

I topped out a 70 foot dead cottonwood. As soon as I reached the top the wind kicked up. Argh. The homeowner wanted to save the bottom half scraggly sucker growth. I was scared.

Redbull said:
I always enjoy your movies too. Oh yeah, thanks for the footlocking video that you posted in another thread. I haven't put my Pantin on since!
I'm glad you got something out of that. if anyone had more doubt about their abilities to footlock I was going to peel off the house slippers and do the video footlocking barefoot.
Redbull said:
Hmm. Won't load for me :bang:
OK, then. I posted it to a server for you. Try clicking on this.

Yeah, I get the movie to flash on the screen for like .001 second and then I get the QT logo. I dunno? I do have QT downloaded.

Nice Beech

We took out this Beech tree this week. Pretty hairy for awhile but it came down without incident. I am going to have to get a crane and cut my time in half on a job like this.

Thanks for posting the pics. We had a beautiful day to work with. The pics may not really give this project justice. That was a tight rigging area w/ more targets than you could imagine.
Brandon G. worked the gound like a pro.

I'm about tired of the rain around here. I moved to the High Desert because I don't care for rain. Today? Got the forklift stuck after about an hour. Unstuck the forklift and noticed 90 weight coming from the TCase on the cornbinder, lot's of 90 weight. Checked it out and found a bad bearing and seal, all of this in "arse" deep mud. Finally got it all taken care of, but no profit today. Sun is supposed to pop out tomorrow!

Wow what a beaut of a day we had here yesterday for mid winter.. 50F and bright sunshine, no snow on the ground at all. Helped the summer time boss finish some jobs before he heads south, and also checked up on the trailer while I was out there. One at a cottage was a large maple with a leaning tower of pisa likeness, so we removed that using a speedline and then used the GRCS to drop the trunk. No cleanup, and were finished early enough that we tackled a second job at a country residence (old schoolhouse bult 1874), removal of a large sugar maple that was dying, again used the GRCS to flop it, and then a 75 foot spruce that the owner did not like the look of. Again no clean up. Today is pouring rain so we picked the day well...tomorrow I am going to help him do a number of removals here in Toronto if the weather is OK.

Last edited:
Back