So what's in your wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catching up on some of my reading while in Omaha. On page 88 of the May issue of Tree Care Industry. Some guy found deer antlers. It was hanging on the sunroom wall. This guys house must have had terrible upkeep. Do you know how long it would take to grow all the way around antlers? I was surprised to see that he spent any money to pay for someone to take down the tree. I wont even work in the "hood". Too cheap and they complain more.:D

I've had many a good client in the hood. Just cant doo the absentee landlord though.

I've worked for a few property managers that payed well though.

My constant find is old barbed wire...everybody in New Mexico seems to use elms for living fence posts. My best was actually a reverse though...got a call to remove a car body from around a tree the new land owner wanted to keep, minus the ancient autobody around it. I passed that job on to a friend with a torch :D I have had to "prune out" wires where land owner used a tree crotch for a cheap pole & its enveloped the sucker. As long as its not girdling I lop off what I can & leave the rect. Nobody mention cement in this thread yet, thats always a joy to hit.

was helpin out on a job as a groundman, had just started to climb at the time. the climber was up in a big sugar maple about 60 or 70 feet or more. he made nice nice with a racoon. so everything stopped, and he chased it out. thing came down head first, just walked right down the tree. headed off to the woods. got the stick down and were cutting it up. found i believe 5 baby racoons inside a cavity. we put them in a box and left the box in the woods hoping that the mother would come back for them. the amigo's were touching the babies though, so i am not sure whatever happened. we tried to save them. i have done on my own though, the nails, the toys, and some other stuff too. cant think as to what though.

Concrete

my great grandfather had filled one of the LARGE oak's in his estate with conrete when it rotted out. It was the last dead tree standing in the whole city! ;)

I had to pull the trunk down because the concrete took up more than 3/4's of the trunk diameter. Wasn't worth ruining the chains.

when I worked for a large company clearing power lines we came across two buckeye trees that had two be removed. As I was starting to chunck down the wood I was getting swarmed with bees I brought the bucket down as fast as it could and got the heck out of there After they calmed down we cut down the tree to have it split and inside was the biggest honey comb I had ever seen. We had the home owner call a bee keeper to come out and he was more than happy to remove them.

i have seen it all! the other day i went to bid a silver maple, dad wasnt home so the kids showed me the tree, good size one.
the boy looked at me and said " if you cut down are tree whats gonna happen to the pine tree on top of it"! up in side the main crotch there is a 2' tall pine tree growing right out of the tree!dead center! perfect shape too! im gonna take a picture and try and post it!

Well this is nothing compared to what you guys have found but now I am initiated, was cutting out a 40" maple stump over the weekend and my chain went dull instantly, once we got that pig turned over there was a four inch column of dirt and just enough small rocks to chip much of the chrome off my chain. Man this is fun

ive got a new one! frogs! in a willow! there was a little crack in the stumo that led to the center were it was rotted, lots of ants and beetles! frogs in heaven! we caught them before thw were crushed and put them in the creek!

Back