so, what's it like when you hit a nail with your chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever that thing is, the right stationary engine collector would probably want it. Large flat belt driven devices are becoming quite rare and collectible.

Re: Something else to think about

Originally posted by SawS
Turns out, the tree trunk was full of concrete. Wire reinforced concrete. I never saw anything like it. The tree did not have a hole in it, like where you could have poured in the cement, (but how did the wire get in there if it did?),
This isn't recommended anymore but the way they used to do it used to work very good sometimes and seal right up leaving no clue after years of growth.

No. I didn't waste a chain on this one.;) I like it.

There's an old metal tractor close by and a pile of odds and ends. Could be collected for scrap, but it's fun to look at.

As far as catching a nail (or more often in my case) a piece of fence wire.....I have noticed that it always happens immediately after sharpening a chain...never at the end of a day. :(

hit a nail

Nails, usually it dulls the chain but I had a piece get lose and missed the safety glasses and bounced under the hardhat, left a scar on the forehead. You will feel it when you hit them, just a bump then the saw doesn't cut worth a hoot. Ah, for the good old days when they cemented up the holes, what do you to want bet the homeowner doesn't remember that was in there till after you hit it? Then he has pictures of it to show you.
Anybody know if filling the holes with a can of spray foam for sealing cracks around the house works??? It sure would be easier on the chainsaw. What do the experts say?

Spray polyurethane foam did get some recommendations and use for a while. Current thought based on research is to leave cavities alone. The spray poly does tend to deteriorate where exposed to sunlight so some of the trees it was used on are looking a bit cancerous.:eek:

In my experience 1/4 gauge chain loses cutters when you hit nails. .325" chain may lose cutters but not always, 3/8 and .404 just seem to get dull. It's funny how the customer always "remembers" the fence, nail, concrete, barbwire, etc. right after you ruin a chain!

Latest posts

Back