so why exactly are ms200t's so expensive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you react with some arrogant 50 yr old cussing at you. Pretty sure i would of handled it a different way. That arrogant old man needs to calm down, i dont put up with that crap its disrespectful and unprofessional to talk to your fellow employees like they are dirt.

It's just for tv. In real life they are probably friends..

I went from using a cs-330t to a ms-200t... Didn't think there would be much difference, boy was I wrong!... I had it about 15ft up in a tree and took it off my lanyard to reach a limb that was out beyond the reach of my lanyard . After I made the cut I put it down to ny side and let it go forgetting it wasn't attached to my lanyard.....oops:blob2: it fell strait down into a pea gravel mulch bed... No damage @ all, I had my groundie send it back up to me and it fired right up!:rock:.... I'm so used to it being on my lanyard that I just let it go with confidence as I do everytime.....:msp_mad: It came with 16 inch bar but I'm going to put a 12 on it and keep the 16 for bigger stuff... Stihl Rick solid little saw and I don't regret spending the extra $$ on it.... To be honest I probly would have paid more than 609.00 for it of I had too...:hmm3grin2orange: Next purchase will be a 261 with 18 inch b&c:msp_thumbup:.... Bite the bullet and shell out the extra bucks for it, u won't regret it...

Mod the muffler, remove the limiter on the carb, advance the ignition timing, and retune.

I agree Brad that after some mods they'd be a wicked little saw but the general consensus amongst every Australian arborist that I've spoken to is that out of the box they are crap with a capital C and it all revolves around throttle response or lack thereof.
I know it is the general AS mentality to mod everything but we really need to look at stock saws sometimes and the fact is that a 200T with a single screw and spark arrestor removed makes a 201T look lame despite them being quite a good saw in their own right.
I could have sold my new 200T ten times already to arborists using 201T's and it's a pity the EPA have choked the "out of the box" potential from an otherwise worthy 200T opponent :(
Please don't think I'm trying to start an argument mate as I'm not however just like the MS261 we shouldn't have to mod the crap out of these saws to get them where they need to be.
I mean we all love modifying great saws to make them awesome but we shouldn't have to pull an average saw down and play with it, also voiding any warranty, to make it even remotely OK to use. Stihl should have done this for us already!
The sooner M-Tronic gets fitted across the whole range of Stihl's pro saws the better.

I have noticed the same thing... a lot of arborists are not warming up to the 201t and used 200t are now fetching crazy money on fleabay - even the old warn out ones.

Anyone got a nice 200t for sale? haha

I do not know any large commercial operator's that will use a modified/broken saw anymore. If they are a large enough company to have employees then they actually end up spending the money to replace spark arrestors and any other broken bits. Modififying company equipment, using personal equipment on company time and using broken bits is a sure fire way to end up unemployed.

No one seems very happy with the 201s. Top handles in general seem to be in a decline as to the number purchased and distributed to employees. Bucket trucks seem to be getting small rear handle saws instead.

Last edited:
So what's actually usage worth of Stihl ms200t and ms201t, now from the 8 years distance?
Is there any real difference in quality work time between the Stihl ms200/ms201 rear handle and for example Stihl 021/ms211 or Husqvarna 120 mark II (being in the similar ccm3 range but very different in price)?
Also I read here on the site that there is some difference in the parts between Stihl 020t and ms200t (other than flippy caps and more metal/plastic in one or another), so if that's the case, what parts are the ones that won't interchange between the two?

Is this chainsaw on the picture a Stihl 020t rear handle version, I looked for it on Mike Acres site but I didn't find any specified info or pictures about it (I did find info on Stihl ms200 rear handle, is there any big difference between top and rear handle other than obvious ones), does anyone know is it reliable like Stihl 020t/ms200t top handle?

1601328658314.jpeg 1601328863417.jpeg 1601328689780.jpeg

Rope hasn't been on here in a year or so. He lives about an hour from me but I haven't seen him in a couple years. Not sure what he's been up to.

So what's actually usage worth of Stihl ms200t and ms201t, now from the 8 years distance?
Is there any real difference in quality work time between the Stihl ms200/ms201 rear handle and for example Stihl 021/ms211 or Husqvarna 120 mark II (being in the similar ccm3 range but very different in price)?
Also I read here on the site that there is some difference in the parts between Stihl 020t and ms200t (other than flippy caps and more metal/plastic in one or another), so if that's the case, what parts are the ones that won't interchange between the two?

Is this chainsaw on the picture a Stihl 020t rear handle version, I looked for it on Mike Acres site but I didn't find any specified info or pictures about it (I did find info on Stihl ms200 rear handle, is there any big difference between top and rear handle other than obvious ones), does anyone know is it reliable like Stihl 020t/ms200t top handle?

View attachment 858169 View attachment 858173 View attachment 858171
The 020T has different transfer ports both the eng case and cylinder ,the 200T runs slightly better with the newer perting about 1 second faster per cut.

Back