so why exactly are ms200t's so expensive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rope - if your looking for a replacement 335 I'm sure you can find one cheap. I've gotten about 3 of them in boxes from big lots of saws I've bought from dealers. All of them were like new and I believe all of them had their original bars. From my experience, and what I've heard from others, I'd put them in the same class as the Stihl 019T a total POS.

Stepped in what? Me thinks you've done had a few to drink. I guess you should go back and read my posts. Yes, I've ported a 200T, and I also told you I haven't ported any other tophandle saws. I was less than impressed with the porting results on the 200T, and will not port them for anyone else. BTW, they're a piece of cake to work on, not hard at all. The only other top handle I've had was a Redmax 3500. I modded the muffler, sold it to a tree guy, and the loved it. And they used 200Ts too. They were quite impressed with it.

WOW! Holy tired old cheap shot there Bradman! Glad you didn't have to think to hard on that one!

The majority of that post was in jest. Yes, you "stepped in it" by originally saying the 200t was overpriced. I mearly was asking what it would cost to build something comparable to a 200t. I personally think it would be more expensive to buy and have it built to compare with an unmodded 200. That was my point.
I'm glad you ported one and came to the same conclusions, it's VERY difficult to make gains over what the factory has proven over the years. Be nice if they'd put that effort into all the saws then we wouldn't have to pay someone to run like it should. But no, I'd never read you had ported one.
Once I learned the tricks on getting the carb in an out, do it five times and you learn, it's not bad. But I've no real desire to go deeper than that!
Relax a little Brad, I was just asking some questions!

Sorry I took you wrong. And I wasn't implying you should read all of my posts, lol. I was talking about a post earlier in this thread. My point with porting the 200T, is that they don't leave you anything to work with, not that it's maxed out for a 35cc saw. There's just nothing really there to work with in skirt width and ring end locations. I've ported several 35-40cc chainsaws that will cut circles around a 200T. But stock for stock, they're great running little saws. And we all know, that's how the majority of users run their saws. That's just not my perspective though.

YUP! We are on the same page now!

So for giggles, say you were to port a 338, what would that cost, just a ballpark guesstamate? What would you REALISTICALLY think you could make in gains, hard to do I know since you haven't done one. But 15-20% you think?
Maybe someone can chime in with the price of the 335 or 338, which ever is the better one, and I'll look up the stock specs and we can see what the gains would total vs. the cost?
I'm genuinely curious about this. Might even have to get me a Husky top handle to port and find out.

YUP! We are on the same page now!

So for giggles, say you were to port a 338, what would that cost, just a ballpark guesstamate? What would you REALISTICALLY think you could make in gains, hard to do I know since you haven't done one. But 15-20% you think?
Maybe someone can chime in with the price of the 335 or 338, which ever is the better one, and I'll look up the stock specs and we can see what the gains would total vs. the cost?
I'm genuinely curious about this. Might even have to get me a Husky top handle to port and find out.

There's no way I can answer that until I try. If it's as limited as the 200T, then no. However, Husky's are typically much more mod friendly. If you want to do one, and it doesn't gain as expected, you don't owe me anything.

None of the in-house saw builders we had here years ago had any luck with the 335 or the 338.

We had three 335s when I ran a ROW crew for DOT. They were junk. No power, hard starting, crappy filtration- and that's when they were brand new. We eeked about three months out of them and then traded them in on Echos. We got about 18 months out of the Echos.

Sorry I took you wrong. And I wasn't implying you should read all of my posts, lol. I was talking about a post earlier in this thread. My point with porting the 200T, is that they don't leave you anything to work with, not that it's maxed out for a 35cc saw. There's just nothing really there to work with in skirt width and ring end locations. I've ported several 35-40cc chainsaws that will cut circles around a 200T. But stock for stock, they're great running little saws. And we all know, that's how the majority of users run their saws. That's just not my perspective though.

Of all those saws that will run circles around the 200T, which ones have you had hanging from a tree saddle all day long???

I feel so much better knowing that:dizzy:

I may have to put the word out for a blown up one, just to have a look at. But yes, Husky normally gives you something to work with.

JJ - I know RbTree (Roger) had some 335's and seemed to like him, but I can honestly say I haven't seen many others that thought too much of them. Do you know if any of his were ported?

I don't think he ported any of them, but yes he loves them.
Most people that run them seem to like them, but as mentioned, the oilers seem to go fast. Cheap enough to fix, but a PITA from what I understand!

Ok - I know Lakeside used to work on his saws from time to time and cussed a bit when he had to play with his 335's.

All of the ones I've ever had in my possession came torn apart in a box so I just sent them down the road in the same condition. I ended up sending one to Gasoline, but I think he ended up giving it to someone else.

Of all those saws that will run circles around the 200T, which ones have you had hanging from a tree saddle all day long???

What does that have to do with this discussion? Why do you so often have to resort to personal attacks in a discusion to make your point? Then you turn around and behave yourself for a while, then you're back at the attachs again? Are you drunk, bi-polar, or what?

What does that have to do with this discussion? Why do you so often have to resort to personal attacks in a discusion to make your point? Then you turn around and behave yourself for a while, then you're back at the attachs again? Are you drunk, bi-polar, or what?
I really think what he's trying to say is that there's a hell of a difference between cutting cookies in front of a camera with a saw than putting 10 hours a day every day 120 feet up making a living with one. At least that's what I getting. And speaking of personal attacks, drunk, bi-polar,,, Geeez It sounds like to me that you have been hitting the eggnog a little early.

Last edited:
I got the same thing from that blackoak. I've run a 192t in a tree, give the 200 any day! The day my 192 died I had to drag my 350 back up with me. Not all that heavy of a saw, but hanging off a belt, it sucks! Then trying to position and cut with the bigger saw, when you don't need it to start with, really sucks!
I give mad props to those guys that climb with 460 and bigger saws, better men than me!

JJ - I know RbTree (Roger) had some 335's and seemed to like him, but I can honestly say I haven't seen many others that thought too much of them. Do you know if any of his were ported?

Roger had some ported 335s and 338s if I remember correctly. He had a 338 that I believe was done by Ed that was an ok runner, but it had the usual 33* series oiler problems, muffler falling off, etc. Of course he'd be the best one to ask about that.

The 335s we had we couldn't keep the mufflers on and the oilers kept crapping out. We finally ended up with home-made air filters and making a brace to keep the mufflers on. The whole saw was pretty much shot after 3 months of 28-30 hours a week on ROW work. Most of it was out of a bucket. The Echos lasted way, way longer.

Back