So ya want to criticize videos eh? Come get some here then!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None taken, I'm sure.

Coveredinsap was a funny name, but a VERY unfunny person. Bad memories for a lotta folks. I think (I hope) even his fellow leftists were ashamed of him.

Just too nasty to ever be a joking matter.

Last edited:
Excellent video's... Makes me wish I could get out there and watch first hand/ participate a little bit...

I wish I had the nerve, skill, and training to climb trees... let alone do any work in them.

allright ekka you asked for it ya....$%&$#$%&^%9!!!!!

your videos are too dam big to watch!! I'm on dialup, takes me 1/2 hour per meg. thats 9 hours for that 18meg video. sorry, aint gonna happen Bro!!!
and dont say get high speed. no cable or dsl here and $1K USD is not happening just for internet when I need to build a 12'X60' deck!
-Ralph :cheers:

and dont say get high speed. no cable or dsl here and $1K USD is not happening just for internet when I need to build a 12'X60' deck!
-Ralph :cheers:

Wildblue might be an option. Pretty much, if you can see the sky, you can get Wildblue. Not good for gamers, or VPN use, because of the latency, but still, a far cry better than dial up. I need the VPN, so it's not a viable option for me.

Funny, I'm so far out in the boonies that my phone line isn't all that reliable, and power drops out a few times a month.

But I have rock solid 6 megabit cable! :dizzy: It's had problems twice in two years!

However, since it DID have problems and I found out just how horrible Comcast support is, I've been looking into alternatives.

Another option in some areas is a local WISP. Wireless Internet Service Provider. I found one in my area that might work, once they get their 900 MHz system installed this summer. I'm buried in trees, so their 2.5 MHz stuff won't be reliable here, but 900 should be fine. Lower frequencies penetrate foliage better. That would give me 2 megabit down, and 2 megabit up. That might be a good tradeoff for me, as I'm limited to 384k uplink now.

Ralph, if you like, PM me your zip code and I'll see if I can find a WISP in your area. I know what to look for, since it's somewhat related to my line of work.

hmm, the wildblue looks interesting.

wireless? you can try. 45694. my cell phone does not work here at home although the provider says my area is covered. but what do you expect with cingular. fewest dropped calls? sure, you can't make them to begin with!
I have directv, but am not willing to pay $1K for installation for sat internet.
-Ralph

Man! I didn't realize you live so close to me! Only 6 hours away! We're practically nieghbors! :laugh:

I've spent about an hour looking for something in your area, and I've struck out. Nada. I think you live too close to Kentucy or something. ;)

Looks like Wildblue is your only good option.

That, or banning Eric. :D

2 meg with wireless?

Out of control...

I've got people on a 900mhz that can pull 1 meg pretty good, but if their rssi gets above 65dbm... it starts dropping back down.

What kind of system are they using?

Dunno. And 2 meg is the advertised rate - I'm quite familiar with the difference between that and reality. :D

I've had them out to do a site survey, and told them to come see me again when they get their system operative and I'd consider it. They will have to prove it to get my business. If they can really do 2 meg down AND up, it's going to look pretty good. I have to upload big files often enough that the tradeoff from 6 meg down/ 384k up to 2 meg down & up doesn't look too bad.

65 dBm? That's one MIGHTY hot signal! Lessee, that's about 3162 watts. Even at -65 dBm, it's still pretty hot. ;)

If they start losing performance below -65, something is wrong! They should be rock solid.

Jeez Ralph, that is time consuming, you must hate big pics too.

The Wildblue looks good. I pay around $60month for an internet connection, I only have 512/512 here an manage but thats 10x faster than 64.

Good luck, I'd be looking for something faster, must be a bugger surfing the net waiting for pages to load then just dump them coz it didn't have the info etc.

I pay around $60month for an internet connection, I only have 512/512 here an manage but thats 10x faster than 64.

Oh, it's worse than that, Eric. Dial up in the U.S. is limited to 53k, and you won't see that very often. One house I had was less than a half mile from the telco switching office, and I got above 50k every time. Another place the best I could do was 19.2, and most days was down in the 14s. :dizzy:

Cable wasn't available, and neither was DSL. And I worked for the phone company! :bang:

I did find a wireless alternative there, and that ran in the 150k range. It seemed pretty nice after that dialup!

Dunno. And 2 meg is the advertised rate - I'm quite familiar with the difference between that and reality. :D

I've had them out to do a site survey, and told them to come see me again when they get their system operative and I'd consider it. They will have to prove it to get my business. If they can really do 2 meg down AND up, it's going to look pretty good. I have to upload big files often enough that the tradeoff from 6 meg down/ 384k up to 2 meg down & up doesn't look too bad.

65 dBm? That's one MIGHTY hot signal! Lessee, that's about 3162 watts. Even at -65 dBm, it's still pretty hot. ;)

If they start losing performance below -65, something is wrong! They should be rock solid.

Fat fingers, I meant -75. But I neglected my - before, just because Im air-headed.

The speeds tend to dwindle, steady but pull in 7-800k.

Ek, It took me three tries to finish the video. Great job, you seem very careful. Could you not move your head next time? I was getting carsick way too often. :)

Fat fingers, I meant -75. But I neglected my - before, just because Im air-headed.

Hmm. -75 is still a good strong signal in my world, which is cellular phones. I can't see why they'd be dropping their rate at that kind of signal level.

Maybe the perils of using unlicensed bands. If they have a competing service, meaning interference, that would explain it.

The speeds tend to dwindle, steady but pull in 7-800k.

Gah. If all they can deliver is 800k, I won't be switching. :mad:

Well, we'll see. I'm not pulling the plug on my cable until these folks PROVE what they have.

thanks for the videos, new to site,

I hope to be posting some central n.c. tree removal videos soon. Ive got the software, just have to find the time. I enjoy the videos, mostly to Ekka. think thats what you go by. I have only been in the business a few years, but my friends are very good climbers. I hope to show our skills of in some good videos. We had some storm damage this week and took many trees off houses with pully and zip lines. I used to make videos of my whitewater kayaking and rock climbing adventures, but put them on vhs. Its a whole new area now. I hope to catch up THANKS, Andy, Cut-Right Tree Service

Another option in some areas is a local WISP. Wireless Internet Service Provider. I found one in my area that might work, once they get their 900 MHz system installed this summer. I'm buried in trees, so their 2.5 MHz stuff won't be reliable here, but 900 should be fine. Lower frequencies penetrate foliage better. That would give me 2 megabit down, and 2 megabit up. That might be a good tradeoff for me, as I'm limited to 384k uplink now.

I'm on a wireless connection like that and it's flakey at best. Granted, I am in a fringe area, but there's no online gaming going on here. I recently tried to play BF2 online just to see how fast the teenies can kill me but I get bumped within 30 seconds to so for no packet flow. I can go right back to surfing with no problems so I think it might have the same latency problem you're talking about. The best download speed I've seen so far is about 125Kbytes/sec but it averages about 50-75. It also tends to drop off and just quit working. Sometimes I can just go do something else for 10 minutes and it's working again when I come back, but other times I have to unplug the transmitter from the wall and the nic card, reboot the computer, and plug it all back in while it's booting to get it to come back. If I had access to DSL or Cable, this thing would be a bad memory.

Ian

ekka, GREAT vid. Really, you could make some good educational videos with that talent. You already know that don't you? Looking for more from ya.

Ekka, really enjoyed your video. Keep it up. Don t have time to read other posts so this may be redundant but I would to hear dialogue w groundy. Music was so good that if you turned it down to hear dialogue the music would suffer. Don t know the answer but can t wait to see more.

Seems to be the genre'. Put a video up and get hammered.

Hey Ekka, let's be fair about this. Criticism of our videos is invaluable. Of course, I'm not thinking of the goofy ones of non-pros. But if an arbo guy shows his own work, he should look forward to comments in order to improve his own skills. (re: my own first vid which you commented on!)

Another thought, most arbos are too busy trying to make a buck to even think of making vids. Heck , in my own case it's my two oldest boys who have the interest and equipment to do video.

I enjoy your vids, you inspire at least some of us to greater accomplishments, and if anyone trolls on your postings - well, just ignore them. The rest of us know better!

Latest posts

Back