soil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMriales1

Reaction score
I have 3 snow fountain cherry trees. The leaves are turning yellow and I
think one of them is in bad shape. What kind of soil do they like? What
diseases are they prone to? Can I put a soil additive to help them? Do they
like sun or mostly shade? The tag reads" Prunus Snow Ftn Pendula (R)". Any
advice will be appreciated.

I bought them in the early spring, while in bloom. No trouble until about 2
months ago.

Thank you

Prunus pendula will grow in almost any type of soil, but sandy soil will require extra irrigation. Mulch under the tree out to the drip line to reduce turfgrass competition. They prefer an open, sunny location protected from wind. Keep the soil moist, but not soaked. Dry soil will invite many problems, including aphids, borers, scales, and bacteria and fugus infections.

It's never a bad idea to call your County Extension Agent & get a soil test run. They run these thru your state university for about $30. Then you know what the trees are getting & may be in need of nutrient wise. Yellowing can be a lot of things but here in NM with our alkaline soil, it's often chlorosis or an iron deficency. The iron's in the soil, but its chemically bound up due to the high pH of the soil. This may not be your problem, but at least knowing what your soil has & does'nt have will help in the long run & save you some fertilizer money.

Back