Sold A Saw - Owner Returned It

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was given a cheap Chinese saw by a friend because it didn’t work (you may remember, it was that saw from that “dependant carby” thread I did!)

He didn’t want it because it would’t work, I fixed it and gave it back to him for free.

A week ago he said the job was done and he no longer needs it and I can have it or do what I like with it!

Decided to just sell it for $70 Australian to recoup my time and parts etc.

chap came over today to buy it.

We went outside, started it, he had a play and all was good.

He messaged me when he got home, “mate it is leaking fuel, I’m going to have to bring it back”.

I said absolutely and that more than happy to refund him or check it out there and then.

Brought it back and it didn’t leak, but did have fuel in. I didn’t doubt him because his bags he had it in had fuel all over it! So I put fuel in and didn’t leak again. Then he said that he filled it right to the top, so I did too (to the point of it overflowing)turned the saw upside down and then sure enough some leaked out under the saw!!

Went to searching (talk about pressure with him watching!) and figured either a crack near the top of the tank, a faulty tank vent that isn’t holding or leaking past the fuel line that goes into the tank.

Turns out it’s leaking past where the purge line should have been and it’s only when you fill it to the brim, shake it / turn it upside down that fuel comes past.

Put some Tygon into the hole, but needed to use thread and a needle tied to the tygon tube to get it through because it has to pass one hole then it has an inch or so of empty space (betweeen the tank and saws housing) and then get into another tight hole. Got it fine - melted the end (essentially creating a bung) and tested the line for pressure. Tested the fuel line again (the whole time with him watching which was great because he was genuinely interested, but it’s nerve wracking!)

All seemed good.

We went outside and filled it to the very brim, got her running, turned it all around, upside down, left, right. Gave it to him to play around with, got a log for him to cut up a few times to make sure nothing was leaking and all was well and he was really happy. Quick blow off with air, I filled both tanks again and I gave it a quick wipe over with lanotech and a rag and he went off happy.

Trying to diagnose while he’s watching your every move, trying to keep convo flowing and make sure you do the job correctly is a heck of a challenge.

Now I’m second guessing myself - did I tighten that nut up, did I leave that loose etc, what a horrible feeling!! Anyway, I said any problems at all drop me a message and more than happy to give you your money back or fix anything that comes up when you cut - even offered him $20 back for his wasted time and for bringing it back.

All part of the journey, just kicking myself that it didn’t happen to me when I took it out so many times before! Typical right.. and how many times I flung the thing around when tuning to make sure it wasn’t pooling fuel etc lol, nothing.. didn’t happen then?

Embarrassing to admit it that I didn’t catch it sooner when I should have done, but it’s all part of the journey and the only way I’m going to improve is to admit faults, be open and honest and learn from it!

So there we go, wanted to share a story of my day! The ups and downs. He was a really nice bloke and it was good to be able to keep the deal and he be happy that it’s working as it should!

For $70 it sounds like he got a better deal than you did! That's cool that you got him straight, though.

Now if he brings it back yet AGAIN...no more Mister Nice Guy!
Yes, he got a good deal, it’s a great runner and good condition, but I felt a sense of passing the generosity on sort of thing. I got a few bucks for my time and I enjoyed the challenge.

It was faulty (it did leak after all) so it’s only right to offer a refund or rectify it. Just annoying It didn’t cause me or the previous owner any issues. Certainly not the new owners fault though!

You did the right thing and it will pay off in the long run.
Thanks Del. I remind myself no matter how hard one tries, nothing you buy / sell / make or repair is infallible - these things happen. It’s how the issue is address and made right that really matters. After sale service I suppose.

welcome to customer repairs tom
this is why i dont vacuum or pressure test $50 customer blowers/trimmers/saws, they get a 2 minute diagnosis and about 1/3rd of them are scrapped/beyond repair
most of my repairs consist of a chinese carb or p+c fitment, or fuelpipe replace
customers will mug you, time is money

I said “welcome back” and giggled and then said let’s have a look

Opened the boot and handed me the saw. Stunk of fuel and he said that it was leaking oil this time and pointed to the muffler - indication of flooding. Opened the tank cap to check, quick sniff told me it was motomix. Turned the switch on, held the throttle fully open, 5 hard pulls and it spluttered and die, a couple more and it zipped up beautifully, gently goosed the throttle to burn up the excess fuel and then she settled back to a beautiful idle. I tested the chain brake, checked the chain sharpness (which would indicate that he had been cutting if it was dull and it was good and new as I had sold it to him). Turned the saw off, started it again with a single pull, settled to a solid idle and I shut it off. Handed his money back with a smile and just said you flooded it, it’s very common. $70 to me isn’t a problem if you want it or not and he’s more than welcome to his money back.

He stood there a little unsure what to do. I reiterated again that I don’t mind either way that I can put it back up for sale and it’s no loss to me, balls in his court.

Then he said ok and said he’d take the saw and thanked me.

I then proceeded to flood the thing. Handed it back to him, talked him through the process and explained the obvious dangers. He pulled it 3 or 4 times and then it spluttered. He looked at me and I told him yep good keep going, a couple more times and it fired right up.

Then he asked about the dripping oil under the clutch cover. So I spend 10 mins talking him through it why and how the machine oils, even took the bar off to demo it coming out of he oil hole.

He handed me the money back and was super appreciative. As he left I smiled and told him I’ll see him tomorrow for his next lesson.

I can generally tell if people are talking crap and lieing or if they are genuine. He’s a really good guy and I’m more than happy to talk saws with him and help him out. If the saw was $1000 dollars and it was good then no mr nice guy. $70? I couldn’t care less honestly, a persons happiness / satisfaction is worth more than $70. Not worth the Agro.

Edit to update :

I asked him how he went, hoping he has a nice big tree next that I can come and seat some rings on:

55551613-4E70-49B6-B5AD-83DC6E7489FA.jpeg

I was a saw novice before my ArboristSite days. I know how he felt.
Now I can almost always get my saws up and running with minimal effort, which was my original purpose for coming here years ago.
Good to see you are paying it forward!
Absolutely, people on here have been incredibly generous to me in teaching me all I know and it feels good to pass that on to others. I was helped, I helped this guy and with that info he was able to help his neighbour. How good is that!

You've got the patience of a saint, Tom. Time to start charging a psychiatrist's (or at least a babysitter's) hourly rate!
Haha I’m not sure how many more times I could do it to that extent! If he came back again I’d probably just give him his $70 back and send him off to buy a hand saw and confiscate his man card.:buttkick:

it’s a sweet condition saw and runs really well, he really got a darn good deal, great for a home owner on a tight budget, new chain too! 59537B45-1658-4853-872B-AA92DFDC05E1.jpeg1AAD8D8F-4DAE-4F31-B2FA-28366ACECD40.jpeg0AFB769A-BF44-4213-A2BE-D623FB9316C4.jpeg

it’s all part of the journey and the only way I’m going to improve is to admit faults, be open and honest and learn from it!

The lesson to be learnt is cheap saws are not worth trying to fix when they stop working properly.

If only I could learn that lesson myself :))

A fellow gave me a Talon, older sister of yours, which he bought to chop up a tree fallen in back yard and only used once.

I ran it hard for over a year, even had a Stihl chain made to replace the original when it was worn out.

Early this month it dumped a tank of fuel in my ute so I pulled it completely apart, thought it was fixed but no, leaked again.

It's now on it's way to scrap.

I just was given a Homelite with almost identical story........ Yes I have already had it in pieces. When will I learn that lesson.

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_133957.jpg
    IMG_20200529_133957.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
The lesson to be learnt is cheap saws are not worth trying to fix when they stop working properly.

A fellow gave me a Talon, older sister of yours, which he bought to chop up a tree fallen in back yard and only used once.

I ran it hard for over a year, even had a Stihl chain made to replace the original when it was worn out.

Early this month it dumped a tank of fuel in my ute so I pulled it completely apart, thought it was fixed but no, leaked again.

I just was given a Homelite with almost identical story........ Yes I have already had it in pieces. When will I learn that lesson.
Ah how annoying, hopefully you enjoyed tearing it down at least!

Old Homies are good stuff

Looks like a McCulloch.

View attachment 921229
It's almost a dead ringer for my Mac Silver Eagle I just restored. The original owner broke the chain brake handle and it wasn't oiling the bar. He said. "Edwin, try to fix it and it's yours to keep." I repaired them both. Engine runs flawlessly and I used it last week to help clean up some branches that blew off my trees.

Back