Sold my outdoor wood furnace ....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So the wife and I were a bit nervous since the fire (if any of you recall my thread about that). I rebuilt it with rockwool insulation and have been using it 24/7 since with no problems. I decided to buy a OWB so it could be located farther from the house and have a much safer set up. I didn't want to sell it to anyone to use on their house so I listed it for garage or barn use. Turns out the fellow that bought it is using it for a firewood kiln so that was a big relief. I do believe it's plenty safe but I feel better knowing it's not in a home.
So any of you nay-sayers can rest easy now. Wish me luck on my install of the new to me OWB.
Two days after it was gone my wife says "I don't like not having the stove, the basement is cold" LOL
Split on,
Dave

After your fire I had 2 close calls with my non EPA furnace. The first time the door gasket leaked by and flue temps were up over 500 degrees in minutes. I caught that one in time. The second time a couple weeks later my ash door was not sealed tight enough and same thing. This has never happened before until this year. Now I have the EPA furnace that's a lot safer. The old one is sitting in my garage I was going to try to get a couple hundred for it and say garage heater only.

I completely understand your decision for changing it.

When I move my owb to it's finally resting place at the end of my shop I'm planning to build my own lines for it. I'm going with above ground lines and will install them in a PVC conduit that is inside of another bigger conduit. It will then travel thru the inside of my shop that is attached to my house. It will then connect to the existing Logstor line that runs to my other house. I would never use cheap line for under ground though. The 30' line that is running to my house now is a temporary one ( been 7 years now) that I made myself and it cost me more than the Logstor by the time I was done. It's inside of a conduit so I could rerun the lines when I move the owb to the rear of the shop. Check into your local codes to see what the minimum distance from houses and combustibles is. Our Township changed their wording to Combustibles from dwelling so that you can't store wood near the owb. I think it's 35' away now. I'm not sure how they figure you are supposed to do it and I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble with it but I bet if your insurance company knew about it and you had a fire you might have to jump thru some hoops to get the claim paid out.

After your fire I had 2 close calls with my non EPA furnace. The first time the door gasket leaked by and flue temps were up over 500 degrees in minutes. I caught that one in time. The second time a couple weeks later my ash door was not sealed tight enough and same thing. This has never happened before until this year. Now I have the EPA furnace that's a lot safer. The old one is sitting in my garage I was going to try to get a couple hundred for it and say garage heater only.

I completely understand your decision for changing it.
Is this a misprint? If I burn my shop stove at 500* it'll soot up the pipe something fierce. its not uncommon to see temps in the 1200-1500* range on an internal probe style pyrometer. As I type this my EPA stove in the house is idling along nicely at about 650* on the same style pyrometer

Is this a misprint? If I burn my shop stove at 500* it'll soot up the pipe something fierce. its not uncommon to see temps in the 1200-1500* range on an internal probe style pyrometer. As I type this my EPA stove in the house is idling along nicely at about 650* on the same style pyrometer

Not the furnace temp the single wall pipe temp where it enters the triple wall, like 10 feet away from the furnace, was 500 plus on the outside. By the furnace was probably over 700 the pipe was all white after.

A magnetic stove pipe thermometer 10 feet from the furnace that always topped off at 350 running wide open shouldn't jump up past 500 in a couple minutes.

White paint on the pipe or the stove (furnace) after a hard run typically means over fired...

Right that's my point the thing started getting sketchy. I wasnt doing anything different and it would suddenly start acting up and having crazy quick temperature rises but not stove temp rises. If you had the door open and the blower kicked on the flames would go crazy. It wasnt safe for in home use anymore. This was only in the last couple months, it had never done this in the previous 6 years. If I didnt catch it both times it probably would have cooked off the elbow out of the furnace.

Latest posts

Back