Solo 639

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loop1

Reaction score
I cut a cord or two a year from smallish (12") trees that have fallen on my property. I don't need a "brute" but I do want reliablity and easy starting. The local farm store has the Solo model 639 with 16 inch bar cheap, as they are closing them out. Is this a decent machine for my needs. Will parts/service be a problem? Thanks.

A cord or two is not a small task for weekends. Get a good Sthil say 025 or 026. Mybe a Husky but I cannot name models. This will last you years if you maintane and operate properly.

A cord or two is not a small task for weekends. Get a good Sthil say 025 or 026. Mybe a Husky but I cannot name models. This will last you years if you maintane and operate properly.

BTW anyone try canola oil for bar lube yet? Besides Mr. Dunlap that is. Well, how's it working for you Tom?

loop1,solo makes some of sears craftsman saws (poulan makes some also)they are a good saw. go to www.consumerguide.com, punch in solo saw and read up.Or punch in solo chainsaws in a search engine, the results my surprize you.Only drawback may be service:D Dan

The SOLO 639 is an excellent saw, with a professional engine, MAHLE chrome cylinder etc. Manufactured in Germany. Have no fear it is a well built machine. Parts are no problem. Go to www.mychainsaw.com and click on manufacturers links and click on SOLO.

WOW!!!!!

:blob4: Somebody here actually knew something that I didn't know!! If I am not careful, I might actually LEARN something here! :dizzy: :jester:
THANKS GUYS! I had never heard of Solo before. What saws is it comparable to? :confused:

Get a Husky 350. Sounds like it would be all the saw you would ever need and it has less vibration than any saw on the market. If the dealer is closing the Solo out are you saying they are just discontinuing that model or are they not selling Solos at all anymore? No matter what you get be sure to have local dealer support

The Solo 651 is the one that Sears was selling. It has impressive numbers. It has the best power/weight ratios (3.9Hp/10.8lbs) in the 50cc class, beating out the 026 and 346xp/350. I would really like to try one and see how it's balanced and designed, but I can't seem to find a dealer in west Michigan. The 639 doesn't seem to be an impressive model. The 645 weighs the same and has 3.0 Hp versus 2.6 for the 639. Still, I too would like any impressions people may have about Solo.

Back