SOLO 690 "Ripping" Good Saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got this demo SOLO 690 off the internet a couple months ago and did a little milling with it for the first time yesterday making an 8 foot jackpine into two six inch headers for a couple doorway.

Things I noticed:

1) The "dirt bike" sound of this baby goes right thru my cheap hearing protectors. Sweet!

2) That compression release is NICE. Without it, this 90cc brute would be a bear to start.

3) 90cc seems about right for my kind of hobby milling. Yet I gotta wonder what a Stihl 122 cc 088 or the big 119 cc Husky saw would be like? Big saws are very cool -- and it didn't jump out of my hands and go tearing down the road either!

4) Glad I got the 24" bar. Good reach -- about perfect for my purposes. This is a very handy unit to have in ones toolbox, esp. if you have lots of timber and live in a hand built log house that you're always adding onto.

Question: For milling using the simple "lumber maker" 2x4 guide, should I use a semi-chisel or a full-chisel chain? This is mostly green red pine with some jack pine and some black ash. Thanks....

http://www.atthecreation.com/

"Question: For milling using the simple "lumber maker" 2x4 guide, should I use a semi-chisel or a full-chisel chain? This is mostly green red pine with some jack pine and some black ash. Thanks...."

You should use ripping chain. Baileys's makes theirs in house and Commercial Cutters claims to carry Oregon's ripping chain.

Originally posted by max2cam

1) The "dirt bike" sound of this baby goes right thru my cheap hearing protectors. Sweet!

2) That compression release is NICE. Without it, this 90cc brute would be a bear to start.

Sounds like my next saw investment may be a Solo. I know what you mean about the compression release. On my Jonsey 920 I definitely notice one is missing. Its the first big saw I have had without one. Coincidentally my Husky dealer here also sells Solo's and I think he has a new 690 on his shelf. I wont buy new of course but getting parts would be easy

Latest posts

Back