SOLO chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thacket

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I am a great fan of SOLO chinasaws, but I notice that dealers and parts are few and far between in the US. Is this a marketing problem? Is it Stihl/Husky market saturation (both great saws!!)? What experiences have any of you had with SOLO saws? All opinions and views most welcome. Thanks.

All the Best,
John K. Emmons

I owned a Stihl 026 Pro, but later bought a Solo 651. I sold the Stihl. I like the Solo much better. It has a better feel, runs smoother, cuts faster, uses little fuel, and is well built. The only complaints I have are the vibration dampening system is not quite as good, and the saw lack the nifty features like a side chain tensioner and master control lever that the Stihl had.

SOLO 651 or 651SP?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reporting your experience with SOLO. Did you buy the model 651 (4.0 HP) or the 651SP (3.6 HP)?

John

I bought the 651. It wasn't easy though. The loacal distributor didn't want to sell me a 651, just a 651SP. I think they were trying to get rid of stock. You can buy from Solo USA directly, but be prepared to pay. They have the 651 in stock but want well over $400. I ended up buying the 651 through the Scott Hourigan Company for about $400 including shipping. The saw came shipped direct from Solo USA but at better prices. Scott Hourigan Company has a website.

to u fellas that may know. i saw a small solo ,looked like about 36 cc or so at the flea for 110. the other day.almost bought it but dont know the saws.looked good as new n cranked well.
was that a good deal or mabe a stolen saw in your opinion.
thanks tm

680 Solo

Hello John (thacket),
Solo's are great saws. the 680 solo Is exactly 5 cubic inches. Stock it has about 1 more horsepower than the 5 cube stock husky or stihl models.it had the quad loop transfers long before husky introduced them on the 371-372 series. Its one of the best saws to modify for our 5 cube class racing saws.
If you have any problems with parts contact Mike Rupley (Rupedoggy) He's a solo dealer
[email protected]

Ken kdhotsaw

680 Solo

Hello John (thacket),
Solo's are great saws. the 680 solo Is exactly 5 cubic inches. Stock it has about 1 more horsepower than the 5 cube stock husky or stihl models.it had the quad loop transfers long before husky introduced them on the 371-372 series. Its one of the best saws to modify for our 5 cube class racing saws.
If you have any problems with parts contact Mike Rupley (Rupedoggy) He's a solo dealer
[email protected]

Ken kdhotsaw

Love the Solo pro saws!
-633 (36cc 2.2ci. 2.0hp) the next best thing to the 020T for $200 less.
-651 (51cc 3.1ci. 4.0hp)(not the SP). In my opinion, the finest 3ci. saw out there! I know at least three guys (arborists) who put both their 026 and 036 pro models back in the truck and have taken to using the 651. It likes to run at 13,000rpm (12,500 untill broke in) and really doesn't show everything it has until 25-30 hours of use. This thing is a real screamer! Limb, fell, bucket...love it.
-690 (90cc 5.5ci. 7.4hp) a true "bulldog" saw. Great torque for loggers. Smooth power all the way thru. If you can find a Solo retailer, you should be able to negotiate this saw for promo price of $699!!! A whole lot o' saw for $700.
Rumor has it that the Dolmar 90cc saw w/ turbo air system will be avail. in Solo red come spring.
-great warranty, 2 year COMMERCIAL!
-manufactured and assembled in Germany.

One thing I forgot. Solo has a program called "Test Drive" in place w/ their dealers. Buy it from the dealer, use it for 10 days, if you don't like it, bring it back for a refund. Great way to avoid getting stuck w/ a dog.
Sorry to be so long winded.

633 solo bought one in June, paid £197.00 thought to myself what a bargain WRONG been back to the workshop 3 times to get that pathetic, oiling system fixed....Have you had a look at it?Poky little saw i admit but false economy, he's giving me back £150.00 against a new stihl. (thats just my opinion) Graham

Back