Solo Rex

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Morning guys
Can anyone tell me anything about this saw? I tried to search but the word ‘Rex’ was omitted because it’s too short!?
This is the first one I’ve seen over here.
I believe they are large cc, rare and desirable? This would be a ball ache to buy so I probably won’t try to...

Attachments

• 3582816D-5CA7-4457-B01F-E9A72C3F9FD5.jpeg
    3582816D-5CA7-4457-B01F-E9A72C3F9FD5.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1B8DAE70-A2CB-4F96-9FAF-2C4F326A2D10.jpeg
    1B8DAE70-A2CB-4F96-9FAF-2C4F326A2D10.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 25
Yes on eBay uk. Listed as vintage chainsaw. Collection only though and he will not ship or give me a buy it now. Won’t even box it so that I can arrange a courier. I’m not too far away (70 miles ish) but there’s the most expensive bit of water in the world (The Solent) between us. Taking day off work plus travel costs plus cost of winning auction would be mega dollar

So I bought the old beast and have just now managed to spend half an hour looking at it. Measured the bore and it is def not the super Rex. The piston and cylinder look to be in great shape (through the exhaust port anyway) as does the whole saw; looks like all original parts including sprung washers and nuts, bolts etc.
My question though is that it doesn’t seem to be sparking...based on the spark plug presses on the cylinder test. I assume this saw is points or something similarly ancient...is there something I can do to try to get it to spark...clean/file something etc?
I cannot change the plug atm because it’s a weird one with a thin kind of threaded top and I’ve not got anything like that to swap in.
I can get as many pics as necessary if helpful.
Cheers
Karl

...and because we all like pictures of chainsaws...
CFB89F3D-FA6A-4B92-B829-E6E9BBB1F86B.jpeg5BA262EC-5046-4033-BF1D-29D46D655A06.jpegA2A7ECC6-0DDA-47D3-9304-46C1E2C5071A.jpegC9C4162E-8B5A-478D-A15F-288E9CAEE783.jpeg

Hi Karl, it's just a usual plug with the screw on alloy threaded bit on, just get a pair of pliers and remove the threaded cap on a new plug and good to go.

Hi Karl, it's just a usual plug with the screw on alloy threaded bit on, just get a pair of pliers and remove the threaded cap on a new plug and good to go.
Thanks dude, that’s obvious now lol

Wow great news the beast sparks. It doesn’t with the plug it came with (ngk b4-lm) but it does with an ngk bpmr7a.
Does anyone know if it is ok to try to start the saw using this spark plug?
I’m so pleased that it sparks!!!

It is def a solid lump of German engineering

Wow great news the beast sparks. It doesn’t with the plug it came with (ngk b4-lm) but it does with an ngk bpmr7a.
Does anyone know if it is ok to try to start the saw using this spark plug?
I’m so pleased that it sparks!!!
Is the end that goes into the engine the same on both? If not, make sure the new plug isn't too long and interferes with the piston. Check with NGK site for heat range difference. With Champion and A/C, a higher number indicates a higher heat range. Too high and it could lead to pre-ignition and detonation, resulting in engine damage. I don't imagine you're going to run the saw a lot so a slightly hotter plug shouldn't be a problem.

Is the end that goes into the engine the same on both? If not, make sure the new plug isn't too long and interferes with the piston. Check with NGK site for heat range difference. With Champion and A/C, a higher number indicates a higher heat range. Too high and it could lead to pre-ignition and detonation, resulting in engine damage. I don't imagine you're going to run the saw a lot so a slightly hotter plug shouldn't be a problem.
Ok thanks I’ll check. As u say I just want to check if the saw will run, will not be letting it do so for long if it does...but I’ll still do your checks first

Back