Solo Saws... Good Or Bad...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
parts.. not fleabay... dealer only...

Oh that's right.. nobody ever needs used parts:greenchainsaw:

Seriously though.... any (not just Solo) coventional 2-stroke "late entries" into this market will be faced with a very short product life... 2010 (EPA) looms.... That translates to a very small market, limited parts availability and little access to used parts. Sometimes the old brands make sense.

Andy is right on target with this post. He has brought this up in the past and I find it amusing that nobody else even bothers to discuss it. This is really going to happen and there are manufacturers who still do not have a solution. Some of them will not have one, or may not have a solution that you will want to own. So, it's a fair question to ask about what an OEM with limited market penetration will do when those regs take effect. Whether as a dealer or an end user, I'd be concerned about future product support before I tried something just to be different.

The Husky/Red Max marriage made a lot of sense because with both X-torque, and Strato-Charged, both manufacturers where on the same technology curve. Others are trying cats and variations of 4-stroke technology, but there are limitations with these approaches.Husky has bought some time with the cat mufflers, but as we know, they are quickly moving away from them. Echo and Shindaiwa have formed an alliance as neither one had a viable long term solution individually. There is actually a lot more scrambling going on behind the scenes than anyone outside the industry could imagine.

Also, a few companies have been been buying time, ie emission credits, by selling a lot of "clean" homeowner trimmers in the box stores as well as dealers. Companies like Solo and Dolmar can't play that card. (Jonsered falls under the Husky umbrella so I'm told).

We'll all be doing a lot of posting about this in the not too distant future.:popcorn:

I know it was somewhere on here, but can't remember. There was a chart that showed some of the smaller saws 50cc and smaller met EPA 2010 regs with the cat muffler. Anyone remember that chart?

Andy is right on target with this post. He has brought this up in the past and I find it amusing that nobody else even bothers to discuss it. This is really going to happen and there are manufacturers who still do not have a solution. Some of them will not have one, or may not have a solution that you will want to own. So, it's a fair question to ask about what an OEM with limited market penetration will do when those regs take effect. Whether as a dealer or an end user, I'd be concerned about future product support before I tried something just to be different.

The Husky/Red Max marriage made a lot of sense because with both X-torque, and Strato-Charged, both manufacturers where on the same technology curve. Others are trying cats and variations of 4-stroke technology, but there are limitations with these approaches.Husky has bought some time with the cat mufflers, but as we know, they are quickly moving away from them. Echo and Shindaiwa have formed an alliance as neither one had a viable long term solution individually. There is actually a lot more scrambling going on behind the scenes than anyone outside the industry could imagine.

Also, a few companies have been been buying time, ie emission credits, by selling a lot of "clean" homeowner trimmers in the box stores as well as dealers. Companies like Solo and Dolmar can't play that card. (Jonsered falls under the Husky umbrella so I'm told).

We'll all be doing a lot of posting about this in the not too distant future.:popcorn:

Pretty accurate, I believe.......:givebeer:

I know it was somewhere on here, but can't remember. There was a chart that showed some of the smaller saws 50cc and smaller met EPA 2010 regs with the cat muffler. Anyone remember that chart?

correct..... it's an easy power sapping way out for the small saws... but not viable for the larger saws due to the heat generated.

i personally will be stocking up on saws before this hits. we will be able to keep the saws we have. the companies cant make any more is all....

This whole 2010 doom and gloom thing may not be as depressing as it seems. In the early 80's when the cars were going to EFI many said performance days are over and no one will ever work on the own car again. Well well, cars are faster than ever, people still work on them at home, and old cars are as easy as ever to get parts for. As long as there is a market for something it will be.

i personally will be stocking up on saws before this hits. we will be able to keep the saws we have. the companies cant make any more is all....

Kind of like the 1976 CPSC regs for bicycles. A lot of Europeans quit exporting to the USA in '76. With a bike, it's no big deal, as the manufacturer didn't make the moving parts, which were all standard stuff from Campagnolo, Shimano, Huret, etc. The only reason it's a pain to keep my 1974 Maino on the road is that the market has gone away from 5 speed freewheels and 27" tires in the last 30 years, the fact that Maino hasn't sold a bike here since '76 doesn't mean anything to me.

With a chainsaw, if Dolmar quits selling in USA, there goes my dealer parts network, and needing a coil or cylinder may be a major problem five years from now. I hope it doesn't work out that way, but I'll have to keep an eye on the situation. If I see inventory closeouts on spare parts, I'll have to grab an ignition coil and some clutch/brake parts at the minimum.

Latest posts

Back