Solo Twin....FINALLY!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was laying in bed last week and talked myself into getting this thing together while I'm off recuperating from surgery. Yesterday I thought I'd start by cleaning the bench off and going through all the parts. I'd then work on it a little each day, taking several days to complete it. But as always, once I started, I couldn't quit. It was a marathon session, literally all night last night. I finished about 7 AM. All that was left was to get a rope for the starter. I couldn't start it myself anyway, so when Rob got here this afternoon, we dropped by the Stihl dealer, got some rope, and proceeded to fire it up.

There are a few details left to finish. The background around the Solo name on both the recoil and the cylinder cover is supposed to be black. Then the letters are polished back to bare metal. I'm also searching for a new bar. I'm thinking a 24" will be plenty.

I also have a second Solo Twin that I bought since I got this first one. It has the less common 110cc cylinders and the topend is literally like new. It looks to have hardly been run. I planned to put them on this saw, but that wasn't to be. The pistons have drop into the crankcase at least 1/2" at BDC and the case on this other Twin is larger to accept them. It was way too much material to try and remove on my already assembled crankcase. I have a few hurdles to jump, but I plan to finish this second Twin and have it running as well. It won't be a complete cosmetic restoration, but should be a good solid runner when I'm done.

Here I'm starting to sort through parts.
20170821_165418-L.jpg

Parts from the second Twin.
20170821_165421-L.jpg

Figuring out how the crank and case go together. I've already bolted the bottom of the oil reservoir onto the bottom of the crankcase. This thing is built more like a motorcycle/quad engine than a chainsaw.
20170821_180048-L.jpg

The shortblock is together.
20170821_211034-L.jpg

20170821_211027-L.jpg

Sadly, that's all the pics I took during the assembly. It was a chore. Everything has to go together in the right order. I also installed new condensers and cleaned up the wiring.
20170822_062043-L.jpg

20170822_062054-L.jpg

20170822_062104-L.jpg

I didn't yet have the air filter cleaner knob on it in this pic.
20170822_062113-L.jpg

A LOT! That's one of the big reasons I never worked on it. It wasn't just a matter of putting it together...I had to figure out how it went together. The countless other saws I've worked on were of no essential help in putting this thing together. It's built unlike any other saw I know. To answer your question, about 12 hours.
Brad; that is a remarkable bit of work and the sound is got me researching auctions further away, just in case. Just in case turns out to be the saying that has me getting stuff that might not ever be used by me, like the 60" cannon bar in my avatar. Good to hear you are able to toil thru the night with no major adversities.

I thought I might pay for it, but I don't feel bad at all today!
Yeah I was a bit concerned when you started talking about working all night.[emoji33] I just don't want to hear you hurt yourself. But than again you may have extra energy because your body isn't constantly fighting an infection.

Awesome work getting it back together, I'll be up there to check in with you sometime soon, maybe hear that thing run in person.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Yeah I was a bit concerned when you started talking about working all night.[emoji33] I just don't want to hear you hurt yourself. But than again you may have extra energy because your body isn't constantly fighting an infection.

Awesome work getting it back together, I'll be up there to check in with you sometime soon, maybe hear that thing run in person.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
You can be the first to cut with it :)

Latest posts

Back