Some fun with: Stihl 012 & 010 + Echo 351

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maastis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I post this message already under one other thread, but perhaps I start also own thread to post every now and then something about my chain saws & forest "hobby" here in Finland. :)

Hello

New member to this site, best regards from Finland :)

I use to have one 011 (red one) begining of -90... bougt it from person who did not get it to run. I paid like $2 of it, I took it to parts, wash the parts, reassemble and got it back to work. It was my first own saw and I try to do some forest work with my dad. But even the saw was quite light it was hard work for 10 years old operator. Coffee mug was shaking on hands during the brake :) finally chain sprocket fail and during those days it was so expensive we newer bought new one...

Many many years later I saw about similar but 010 for sale with price of like 30 euros. I bought it just for fun, wash it, refuel and it works perfectly. Even many of the original sticker are in place. Its already the newer model with grey covers, more plastic and ignition without braker. But it is not at all like 011... much less power, or atleast I remember so. But I have use this as a spare saw for fire wood cutting. Mainly I use Echo 351 WES. And rarely Stihl 024...

Now recently I found one 012 again with really low cost. This should be now real monster compared to 010 and 011 due bigger bore size :). Even original chain sprocket having one teeth more than little sisters... Ignition coil was dead... also these very same rubber antivibration mounts. I found new aftermarket coil from china for few euros. And one company from UK was selling rubbers and some other original parst with really good price. There was also one shop in Germany called saegenspezi who have some parts available for this model. I took spare set of rubbers and new bar and chains from them... But the 012 specifig chain sprocket with extra teeth is no longer available in any place... at least I have not found. Ok, current is still ok. I have not assembled the saw yet but will do it soon when just some time...

Now finally my question for you who have more experience of this saw model. What is the correct route for spark plug wire? From coil to under of the cylinder is is easy to figure out (groove in frame). Then there is small fixing clamp under the cylinder. But how it should then officially continue from bottom of cylinder, on right side of the cylinder and finally from top right to the sparkplug... or is the wire just freely inside the cover after the clamp under the cylinder and then just going around from right side to the spark plug? All my saws have had too short wire so I do not know the original route.... from begining of -90 I remember only that it was not so nice to saw with wet cloves :)

Sorry about all possible typos. Hope my "rally english" can be anyhow understood :)

Best Regards
Juho

Yesterday I finally got this 012 to run. I order new ignition coil from china. First one was correct in photos but part ehich arrive was wrong... second from another supplier in ebay was correct looking. And looks to work also. I renew also all rubber elements to handles. Not tested yet to cut anything but sound is more powerfull than 010 have.

I realize sprocket have 7 teeth in this 012. 010 have 6 teeths and these are available as spares. 7 teeth version I have not found...

BR

Juho

The spark plug sticking straight out next to your wet gloves can be a very Shocking experience.When I worked for the railway we had Stihl 010 good little saws my partner cut a lot of firewood after work with one ,He probably cut a hundred cord over the 10 years I was there saw was still running,
Kash

The spark plug sticking straight out next to your wet gloves can be a very Shocking experience.When I worked for the railway we had Stihl 010 good little saws my partner cut a lot of firewood after work with one ,He probably cut a hundred cord over the 10 years I was there saw was still running,
Kash
Yes, I remember this when I was kid and sawing with 011. Somehow with 010 I have not face this same issue...

Does someone know if somewhere would be oil pump diaphragms available? I have not checked yet what is the issue but this 012 is missing now oil feed. Need to dismantle the pump an clean all the parts and check diaphragm.

BR

Juho

Does someone know if somewhere would be oil pump diaphragms available? I have not checked yet what is the issue but this 012 is missing now oil feed. Need to dismantle the pump an clean all the parts and check diaphragm.

BR

Juho
Welcome to the site.

The pump diaphragms are no longer available.

There was a thread a while back where a member was looking into material to possibly repair used ones.

Let us know if you find a source for them.

Hi

Maybe I have now enough 01x series machines :)
20210504-215256.jpg

Counting from left: 010, 011 and 012. Somehow I like the 011 most. 010 feels small... 012 has power indeed, but not so sudden... in photo 011 has some pars missing from rear handle but now those are also in place. I have then still 1,5 saws for spares.

Latest posts

Back