Some new tools to help my old back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
life in farmland also reviewed it and it seems a great tool. i do wonder if its over built and heavier need be but I'm ony basing that on its appearance. I find a couple of hookaroons are great back savers, i find a short one works better for picking up the splits, a long one works for the rounds i need to move about.

Picked up a Log ox and a Logrite hookaroon. Tried them out a little today. I think they will help my sore back when splitting. I will say , if you miss a log with the hookaroon and hit your leg you will bleed out right there in the wood pile hahaha View attachment 730513View attachment 730514

You will find that hookaroon very handy all around the place, not just at the log pile. I even used it once to retrieve a saw I dropped in a creek, pull stuff to the back of the pickup bed, as a cane (84 now) Pick up something I dropped, etc. etc. I have 2 now. One at the wood pile, one in the truck

Hey, a hookaroon is a must for those of us "less mechanized" than the commercial firewood cutters. (And those of us with old backs!)

But I have a question. Take a look at the curved "end cap" on this one. I'm thinking it might be even more comfortable than my old school model.

What do you think? Anybody try one of these?
This particular one happens to be the Oregon 536320 Log Lifting Pick/Aluminum Sappie - 27.5" if anyone is curious.

sdfers.jpg

My old one, works very well too:
hookaroon-my.jpg

Skidsteer with a grapple is my number 1 after a splitter. Next is a trailer for the skidsteer and a 4x4 dump truck. Hurt my arm dragging brush and my back lifting rounds. No time for Mikey Mouse ******** anymore.

I guess by "Mickey Mouse ********" you mean the stuff we people without 4X4 dump trucks and skidsteers use? Is that what you meant to say?

All someone really “needs” is an axe. Of course, that’s not realistic for the vast majority of wood burning citizens. To be efficient and not want to give up, you need quicker, better tools. Such as a chainsaw or 2, proper PPE, a wagon or cart and something to pull it. To make it easy and as least painful on the body as possible, specialty tools such as tongs, pickeroon, cant hook or peavy, etc. To make it fun, ya gotta spend some bucks and get a tractor or skidsteer with grapple and three point winch, processor or really efficient splitter, hydraulic dumping trailer or dump truck, etc. It really all depends on how far into the water you want to go. To the folks who say buying all this stuff doesn’t make sense and I might as well burn oil or gas, I have to ask do you take a horse or a bicycle to work? Do you live in a tiny home with the bare essentials in it only, do you have the smallest, cheapest tv possible, then why kill yourself to split wood by hand? If you burn a cord in the fireplace, then your not heating with wood, your playing around. When your using ONLY wood and are using 6 plus full cords a year, then tell us it’s not worth buying better tools. After a few years our equipment is paid for, and you’ve spent just as much in heating oil or gas with nothing to show for your money spent. The equipment can always be sold.

It came out wrong, sorry, but I have to cut for two hungry outdoor boilers, and was unable to sleep due to said injuries and had a few drinks. Till last year I didn't even have a splitter after 20 years of wedging logs.

A better description of my sentiments is, despite being capable and enjoying physical labor surrounding gathering wood, time constraints dictate mechanization for health, safety and production enough to get the wood stacked and dry in advance.

All someone really “needs” is an axe. Of course, that’s not realistic for the vast majority of wood burning citizens. To be efficient and not want to give up, you need quicker, better tools. Such as a chainsaw or 2, proper PPE, a wagon or cart and something to pull it. To make it easy and as least painful on the body as possible, specialty tools such as tongs, pickeroon, cant hook or peavy, etc. To make it fun, ya gotta spend some bucks and get a tractor or skidsteer with grapple and three point winch, processor or really efficient splitter, hydraulic dumping trailer or dump truck, etc. It really all depends on how far into the water you want to go. To the folks who say buying all this stuff doesn’t make sense and I might as well burn oil or gas, I have to ask do you take a horse or a bicycle to work? Do you live in a tiny home with the bare essentials in it only, do you have the smallest, cheapest tv possible, then why kill yourself to split wood by hand? If you burn a cord in the fireplace, then your not heating with wood, your playing around. When your using ONLY wood and are using 6 plus full cords a year, then tell us it’s not worth buying better tools. After a few years our equipment is paid for, and you’ve spent just as much in heating oil or gas with nothing to show for your money spent. The equipment can always be sold.

Sounds like a lot of equipment for 6 cords a year.

It came out wrong, sorry, but I have to cut for two hungry outdoor boilers, and was unable to sleep due to said injuries and had a few drinks. Till last year I didn't even have a splitter after 20 years of wedging logs.

A better description of my sentiments is, despite being capable and enjoying physical labor surrounding gathering wood, time constraints dictate mechanization for health, safety and production enough to get the wood stacked and dry in advance.
Splitters are nice.

Back