Some sawing, logging and skidding pics and videos ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A lot are picked up now, but there were 2.5 rows of logs from here to that house. I don't have the exact count now, but it was over 200+ that Karen and I bucked up on Wednesday. We had already bucked up another 100ish the week before. Out of that 100 there were 51 veneer logs. I'm not sure what the timber buyer got out of this set. Its about 90% white oak and the rest Red Oak and Hickory and Hard Maple.
IMG_20100908_164526.jpg

IMG_20100903_183057.jpg

My ole' trusty 441 eating a log:
IMG_20100908_154921.jpg

IMG_20100901_105116.jpg

Good cutting makes for easier skidding:
IMG_20100901_175837.jpg

Karen with the 361. She a real worker, and runs the grapple skidder pretty good. We bucked up logs pretty much non-stop for 8-9 hours, she never slowed down and only got pinched about 5 times:
IMG_20100908_145543.jpg

IMG_20100908_143412.jpg

IMG_20100908_142840.jpg

There is a 8 image limit per post ..... so next..........

Knocking Spurs off:
IMG_20100908_154953.jpg

This was a bad leaner that was growing out at an angle already:
IMG_20100901_155751.jpg

We run a 540B Grapple (Karen's Skidder) and I usually run the 540B Cable Skidder:
IMG_20100903_173857.jpg

IMG_20100904_112857.jpg

Here is a video of some tree getting pulled out with the Cable Skidder:

Here is me running that log, my girls like to see videos of dumb logging stuff, so Karen wanted me to run down the log and back:

This is just me wedging a tree over:

Thats it for now,

Sam

Nice pictures and videos. That's cool you got a wife that will run equipment and saws with you.

Thanks for the pics and vid. Beautiful country.

Looks like she earns her 1/2 ! :clap: I hope the buyer treats you well.
Good pics/vids. Thank you !
I love the look of hickory. I wish we could do our kitchen cabinets with it but it's too "squirrely" for my wife's taste.

Thanks for posting the picts and vid. That is some nice wood you are cutting in, hope you did well on the job. I can tell your wife can handle herself and her saw. I have worked around a couple women in the woods that could do as much as any big man and they still look like a women.
Pioneerguy600

Looking good!!! Lots of work.

And your "partner" is a lot better looking than the hairy faced smelly people I have working with me.

Keep the pics coming!!

Kevin

Thanks for sharing,great pics and videos keep them coming.Does the misses cook and clean as well as she works,if so your are on a good thing,does she have a sister ?. ha ha
I noticed you have a GB Titanium bar on the 441 how is it holding up,they are almost all i use and find um great.
Work can be hard at times but if its fun as well life is good.

Thank you, guys for the good words.

Yes, Karen cooks very good. In 19 years she has only cooked about 2-3 meals that I couldn't/wouldn't eat, and we were trying something new and it just didn't work, LOL.

The GB bar is actually kinda wore out, but its the only bar that I can close the rails on, because I have about 10 stihl bars that are kinda wore and the bar rail closer that I have won't budge the rails. It barely moves the GB rails, but yes, I love the GB bars, in fact GB and Stihl are the only bars that I will use, and I have no use for any other. I got a good deal on several Stihl bars and thats about all I have been using for awhile, this GB was sitting on a nail hasn't been used in about 1 year.

I did finally blow a tip sprocket up on a 28" GB bar about 1 or 2 weeks ago. First tip I've blown up on a GB bar, but it has been used on/off for 4ish years.

I think the GB bars are the only thing next to Stihl in quality for the money. I have a Cannon 36", but I don't use it enough to give a testimony on that, I just assume they are very, very good, LOL.

I use Stihl Semi-Chisel Full Skip for everything falling and bucking up, and 20" bars on up. This last job with hard dry hill hickory and hard maple has really proved to me that it is the only type that I want to use. I tried Carlton Semi-Chisel-Full-Skip and had two saws with 20" bars running a loop of Carlton and Stihl and the Carlton was easily sharpened 4-5x's more than the Stihl and that is a very conservative figure.

I tried full comp and full skip chisel chain in both, Carlton and Stihl and while the Stihl was again better than the Carlton, I just couldn't keep the sharp tips on the full chisel teeth, and I would end up with more of a semi-catastrophic failure, as in a crooked cutting that had to be fixed, as apposed to a semi-chisel that would just get a little dull, but then one or two strokes of the file and it was back working hard again, and for many, many trees. I'm really at a point with the full chisel that I don't see the point in it. I agree it cuts slightly faster, typically the "computer video races" show its about 1 second per cut faster, but it fails at much faster rate and it takes a lot more filling or grinding to recover a quality, useable edge that you end up just becoming an expert at hogging out a chain's tooth with a file, instead of cutting. An amish guy that I worked for use to say that semi-chisel works pretty good dull, because it starts out partially dull to begin with, LOL. Again, I agree it might be a second slower on cutting, but the overall chain lasts much longer and you don't suffer the larger losses of life when the tooth edge "falls off" in the harder woods like Hickory and Hard Maple or dirty wood at the landing after you have skidded the logs through the mud/dirt.

Karen ran a brand new Stihl chain bucking up dirty/dusty and some muddy logs for 8-9 hours and I only sharpened her chain 5 times ...... I keep track of these things.

I assume all of the above has no bearings on those that cut soft wood, LOL.

Around here you have to cut the trees off within about 6" of the ground or you won't work very long, on side hills you are very likely to be subterranean on the high side of the stump and then plunge cut down into the growth ring to "release the tree" on the backside. I believe I have read on here where some guys keep crappy chains around for "stumping" ......well, thats all I do all day is "stump" trees off, and in those conditions full chisel just isn't very efficient ............in my opinion, based on my research, LOL.

Below is me cutting a tree loose and it is some form of failure in placement. I don't remember how .... I think it needed to be more to the right, but it really wanted to go hard to the left.

Below is a partial failure.... I had notched it to go away from the camera and down the hill, but it ended up falling right where it wanted to anyways, to the hard left, LOL. I wanted it to go down the hill so the skidder wouldn't have to climb the hill to get it (there are rocky bluff's and harder to get to), if I drop it down the hill Karen can grab the top and go, but then she has to grab the top which isn't so good for dragging, "bassactwards". As it obviously ended up the tree fell to the left, like it wanted to do anyways, so now I will grab it with the cable skidder and pull it to the right by the butt, which will end up making it easier to drag up the next hill, so I couldn't really loose either way on this one, but overall it was a failure on placement, but these things happen, LOL......... It's just that on the last 300ish trees it seems I video all of the failures, LOL.

Here is my little logging trailer, the front holds my ATV with little side racks that hold the tires from wanting to roll off, once its loaded, since the ATV is longer than the 4 foot wide trailer. The gray painted L-shaped tank holds my diesel for my skidders. The gray box on it, holds the tools for the skidder's maintanence/repair/upkeep. The Aluminum Box in the back, opens down and makes a nice "tray" to hold or work on or prep saws for work. It balances pretty good that you can lift it by hand and it pulls around with the ATV that rides on it.
IMG_20100903_183242.jpg

IMG_20100903_183253.jpg

Later,

Sam

Thanks for the pics and the vids Sam. It looks like you have a good working partner,wife,chainsaw buddy, etc. It is always easier to work in the woods when its not just you. 2 people makes the day go buy so much better.

Keep the pics and vids coming.

Beefie

Thanks for the run down on your chain choose and findings in your type of wood and conditions.I am almost total opposite to you that most of my work is clean green sugar,spotted gum,stringybark,peppermint and messmate where i use chisel chains and only go to semi chisel when the trees are dry and harder.I use Charlton and Stihl brands,what ever is cheaper at the time i need new ones.
Pics of some of my latest jogs in the clean green wood.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:)

Here are some more random pics:

Pulling some decent logs, notice the wonderful blue tint of the skidder cable. That is the Amsteel Blue synthetic "rope". It is 3/4" thick and I will never use steel cable on a cable skidder again, because of this stuff, it is so light and strong and makes cable skidder work much more fun now. I think a whole length of 130' weighs like 8 pounds or something:
2010-07-07181533.jpg

Some stacked logs, as I'm coming into the landing. To give you a perspective on the size of the logs that are stacked. The tires on the loader are 23x26's ...... they are big:
2010-07-07181620.jpg

2010-07-07181639.jpg

Skidding in the pouring rain and the sun is shining hard. I think you can see the huge rain drops coming down in the photo:
2010-07-07181506.jpg

Best looking skidder driver that I've found LOL. She is covered in dust, she ran the grapple skidder for several hours, pulling out staged logs that day.
2010-07-06183024.jpg

Nice pic's.
Looks like some really nice wood.
Your a very lucky guy to have a girl
like Karen. Wish i had a girl who would
work like that.

Lee

Here are somemore pics:

The machines:
5-31-10055.jpg

Long Cottonwood:
5-31-10058.jpg

Large trees, some in the front are just the top half:
5-31-10064.jpg

Various working pics:
5-31-10071.jpg

5-31-10134.jpg

5-31-10236.jpg

Photo of my glorious 3/4" Amsteel still on the spool. That red ring on the left is what is used for the sliders to but up against at the end of the cable. It makes for a great handle for pulling the cable out.
5-31-10116.jpg

Video of dropping of a top at the landing. My buddy Aden is driving the grapple here:

Latest posts

Back