Some sawing, logging and skidding pics and videos ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how in any was is that a swing cut? you had wood on both sides of the stump. . .
And you said you had to tap a wedge a few times for the tree to commit, but then you say you did not saw the back normally because of the lean and that the tree would have exploded. That is a total contradiction. If you had the tree sawed up and had to use a wedge, your standard back cut would have acted in the same way. Not trying to be a #### or anything, but there are better ways to skin a cat. .

Thats not a swing cut by no means...but it looks to me like he was trying to do a heart cut...like the stump in my first picture. If the tree in his pic had head lean there should have been no need for a wedge. Trees in these pics are poplar..the second tree is double bored.View attachment 235868View attachment 235869View attachment 235870View attachment 235871

056 kid:

Right. The backcut would have acted the same way ONCE IT WAS SAWED UP.

What about heavy head lean PLUS falling away from lean.... Could have straight back cut but was just messing around with some way to leave a backstrap without side boring and pinching on such a small tree.... Please advise.

Even if I had straight back cut I would have cut the compression side first and tapped a wedge in there because there was quite a bit of compression on that side of the back cut.

I used a wedge to make it commit toward where I had it notched because it really wanted to go the way it was leaning. OK I really just used it because it was a pretty shade of orange! :msp_w00t: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am curious though WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF A SWING CUT ? SOMEBODY PLEASE.

Last edited:
Thats not a swing cut by no means...but it looks to me like he was trying to do a heart cut...like the stump in my first picture. If the tree in his pic had head lean there should have been no need for a wedge. Trees in these pics are poplar..the second tree is double bored.

Trying?

It sounds like I was using a wedge to hold the kerf open not to knock the tree over. I probably misspoke in my excitement from dropping such a big one!!

I thought a swing cut was cutting one side of the backcut (boring or not) and then swinging all the way around. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong which I clearly am.

If the tree in his pic had head lean there should have been no need for a wedge.

What about to help me or make me feel good while I change the direction of fall? And did I mention very heavy head lean. And not cutting poplar.

Last edited:
Trying?

It sounds like I was using a wedge to hold the kerf open not to knock the tree over. I probably misspoke in my excitement from dropping such a big one!!

I thought a swing cut was cutting one side of the backcut (boring or not) and then swinging all the way around. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong which I clearly am.

A swing cut is cutting one side of the hinge off on a tree to get it to "swing" around into where you want it to lay...there are many different swing cuts as well.

What about to help me or make me feel good while I change the direction of fall? And did I mention very heavy head lean. And not cutting poplar.

Species doesnt really matter...what exactly are you wanting to know about changing the direction?

Here are two variations of a swing technique, although there are many. This particular faller has years of experience, and it shows.

As with all advanced felling techniques, you take your own life in your hands, and can easily die, by attempting them.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tbN1sKN7IlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uvVY5jaY9jg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sam- Nice sticks! Did you dutch one or am I just seeing things?

I tell ya I cut two jobs with super low stumps and deceided nuts to that. Powerhead height or whatever was necessary and trees that would have taken 2-3 minutes to lay out I was putting on the ground in more like 1-2. But that horse has been beaten before. Nice pics as usual though man! Your jobs tend to look like mine. Wood, terrain, and such.

As for swingin!-

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yeah I'm an #######! I couldn't resist.

There are many ways to deal with lean- with and without boring. Depth/type of face, snipes, dutchmans, etc and so on and so forth.

View attachment 236105
View attachment 236102
View attachment 236103

I really liked this thread. Haven't seen any new posts here in a while. Slam, you must be hard at it! Loved the videos too.

Last edited:
Well now I've stepped into Urban logging, LOL. Got a call from a friends son that needed some trees cut off of a lot next to a cemetary and church and pretty obvious from the road. That little job has now turned into about 12 more really nice jobs. So I'm moving at least one grapple skidder from the wet river bottom's job and going to work on these when I get the chance.
photobucket-1785-1352158608722.jpg

photobucket-12091-1352158614624.jpg

photobucket-25322-1352158606058.jpg

You can see in the back ground the last big tree that is leaning to the left with all of the branches to the left and over the nieghbor's place. I cut 5 bigger trees like this down and pushed them over with the skidder. They had to fall just right because there were water spigots, sewer and gas lines sticking up in several other directions that I couldn't hit.
photobucket-2327-1352158606981.jpg

photobucket-1617-1352158607855.jpg

Here is the firewood crew. They are two older brothers and they have moved a lot of wood with a little trailer, wood splitter, wild thing and some little plastic yellow and black chainsaw. The one is the father in law and they cut up the mess for firewood and I help them out by pushing up the left overs with the skidder or skid loader.
photobucket-3345-1352158612762.jpg

The landowner got some pretty steep quotes to cut all the trees down from some tree service types. Several of these trees were really leaning onto the neighbor's land, but they all went over just fine.
441 CM and a big red oak, I left a little more holding wood on the top side then I needed, but its better finding out you had more than enough, then finding out that you needed more, LOL.
photobucket-14627-1352158616478.jpg

photobucket-10484-1352158613713.jpg

For what its worth here is the stump to that red oak. The saw is a 441 CM with a 28" ES Light Bar and Full Skip Semi Chisel Stihl Chain.
photobucket-1039-1352158619255.jpg

Here it is cleaned up:
photobucket-10575-1352158611417.jpg

Here is the first pine tree I ever cut down, that I can think of. In honor of the PNW, I even used a humbolt and high stumped it, LOL.
photobucket-24342-1352158617405.jpg

Here is the 2nd pine I ever cut. These things are a joke, they cut like butter and don't weigh anything.
photobucket-24060-1352158622957.jpg

Here is that pine or another one going to the landing.
photobucket-24346-1352158609615.jpg

This cherry bark oak did clean up and made two grade logs and some tie logs.
photobucket-21626-1352158627544.jpg

photobucket-3480-1352158623876.jpg

Hard maple.
photobucket-24344-1352158621121.jpg

Some rotten poplar tree:
photobucket-1114-1352158603400.jpg

Some short hickory stump, then cut the rot off to make a clean butt log:
photobucket-1779-1352158604286.jpg

Some photo of the lot, at this point all but the elm by the "dead" power line by the road are down and into logs.
photobucket-2180-1352158602525.jpg

Here is another pine. I cut about 7 this size.
photobucket-14626-1352158605163.jpg

Start of the landing
2012-11-08_09-38-48_602-1.jpg

Here are the boys, 18 and 12 bucking up the logs. I'm sorting pine, grade and blocking into piles.
2012-11-11_10-41-48_624.jpg

Here Karen is sorting logs, and boys are bucking up. The 18 year old nephew is 6' 7" and is by the skid loader and the 12 year old, son Colton, is bucking up grade ash towards the right far away with a 261.
2012-11-11_11-26-15_697-1.jpg

Later,

Sam

Nice work as always Slamm. Sure looks like it made 4 some decent wood. Do you sell to the mill or market it for the owner, or does it just depend on the job? I would think that would be a factor in bidding for you. But some probably just consider it a bonus.

Nice work as always Slamm. Sure looks like it made 4 some decent wood. Do you sell to the mill or market it for the owner, or does it just depend on the job? I would think that would be a factor in bidding for you. But some probably just consider it a bonus.

This job I'm selling on percentage plus landowner said to take a cut for cleaning up the lot. I also have to do some dirt work for him because a mobile home is getting placed on this lot so I have to do some leveling of the pad area.

Sam

This job is an acre lot with 14 acres behind it of decent hill timber.

The grade ash, oak and poplar is going to one place, hickory and cherry to another and blocking to another place.

The pine is likely just going to get shaved for horse bedding. There was just 7-8 trees of pine so that at least can get used, instead of burned in the piles.

The firewood is being ate up by the local friends of the landowner's father in law, they are such a good group that I started pulling out tops from the woods for them to cut up. All in all its been a fun low key job. Karen's 18 year old nephew hasn't really ever worked a day in his life so this summer has been literally life changing for him. Hes driving trucks and trailers, skidders, skid loaders, saws and all kinds of construction work in addition to the logging. I hate rookies and he gets his rear chewed on constantly but he is making huge strides towards growing up and being self sufficient. His whole attitude towards life is changed to one of self sufficiency and that he can and will do things himself instead of thinking others will do it for him.

It rained pretty good last night and this morning so I'm working on some estimates for another line of work, but I'm going to go finish cutting the last 30-50 trees on the back 14 acres.

I was suppose to start cutting on a 67 acre farm that is mostly field edges and some great hill timber, but that is postponed because, Bert (great cutter) is working on the railroad and didn't get laid off like he thought he was going to, and I have too much other better paying work to screw with it. The bottoms jobs got too muddy to work anymore, have a few hundred more acres of that to cut and skid. It looks like this now.
photobucket-1631-1352158724707.jpg

photobucket-1290-1352158725566.jpg

Saws are doing great. I think the 361 has an air leak or something it just revs at idle and there isn't any tuning it out, so its out of commision until I can get that sorted out, Karen and Colton (12) is the only ones that use it, but Colton is better sized to the 261 and Karen just wants to run the 441 Painted saw or the 441 CM's.

Bert came and cut on his vacation for a few days with a modded 660 that he bought and that lasted for 1/2 a day and he was back to the modded 441's and 441 CM's and just doesn't see the point in using 90cc saws anymore for 28" bars, LOL.

Sam

This job is an acre lot with 14 acres behind it of decent hill timber.

The grade ash, oak and poplar is going to one place, hickory and cherry to another and blocking to another place.

The pine is likely just going to get shaved for horse bedding. There was just 7-8 trees of pine so that at least can get used, instead of burned in the piles.

The firewood is being ate up by the local friends of the landowner's father in law, they are such a good group that I started pulling out tops from the woods for them to cut up. All in all its been a fun low key job. Karen's 18 year old nephew hasn't really ever worked a day in his life so this summer has been literally life changing for him. Hes driving trucks and trailers, skidders, skid loaders, saws and all kinds of construction work in addition to the logging. I hate rookies and he gets his rear chewed on constantly but he is making huge strides towards growing up and being self sufficient. His whole attitude towards life is changed to one of self sufficiency and that he can and will do things himself instead of thinking others will do it for him.

It rained pretty good last night and this morning so I'm working on some estimates for another line of work, but I'm going to go finish cutting the last 30-50 trees on the back 14 acres.

I was suppose to start cutting on a 67 acre farm that is mostly field edges and some great hill timber, but that is postponed because, Bert (great cutter) is working on the railroad and didn't get laid off like he thought he was going to, and I have too much other better paying work to screw with it. The bottoms jobs got too muddy to work anymore, have a few hundred more acres of that to cut and skid. It looks like this now.
photobucket-1631-1352158724707.jpg

photobucket-1290-1352158725566.jpg

Saws are doing great. I think the 361 has an air leak or something it just revs at idle and there isn't any tuning it out, so its out of commision until I can get that sorted out, Karen and Colton (12) is the only ones that use it, but Colton is better sized to the 261 and Karen just wants to run the 441 Painted saw or the 441 CM's.

Bert came and cut on his vacation for a few days with a modded 660 that he bought and that lasted for 1/2 a day and he was back to the modded 441's and 441 CM's and just doesn't see the point in using 90cc saws anymore for 28" bars, LOL.

Sam

How those 441 cm compare to the 460 muffler modded vs muffler modded. I have a 576 auto tune husky and ive been using alot lately .I like it alot compared to the 460 s i have. i hardly use my 460 s 660s or 390 huskys anymore.

Back