Some sawing, logging and skidding pics and videos ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice thread. Its interesting to see the cutting and harvesting part of the hardwoods that I have been useing for 40 plus years (mostly hobby wood working ,built a house ,make moulding bowls,furniture etc. I wanted to share something from this end of the spectrum,as every now and then I cut a tree and have it milled, then use it for myself.
Leaners:
In the picture I have included is a beam from a severe "leaner" ,I believe it to be chestnut oak and was milled on a portable sawmill about 3 weeks ago and kept wet (in the rain) for one week after milling. It was a tall, straight 20 inch tree about 5 years ago.Beautiful log.Over three to four years, the roots started getting a lot of water from a nearby swail and gradually leaned to about 65 degrees ,but still mostly straight and clear for almost 30 feet. I knew it had to come down as a "planned event "or it would sideswipe my house when the roots gave out. This board picture is a 15 inch by 12 foot beam from 10 foot above the stump. The crack appeared the very next day after comeing off the mill.It came off the mill looking perfect. Smaller cuts from the same log ,actually "relaxed" 2 inches after milling, over a 12 foot board. My straight cuts were no longer straight .
I just wanted to show the wacky things that go on inside a tree that has leaned for a couple years , (I wrapped a 4000 pound "proof" chain around this one before dropping) The stump became firewood.

Sam ...Ive never used your methods of dropping and probably will never master the techniquesView attachment 270375.( Most of the time I am cutting only uprooted trees.)
On "radical leaners" do you have success (from a safety aspect) with one particular style of cutting and if so, what is it called. (you have included so many nice pictures.....I am confused with all the details! :)

I'm in no way a pro at felling, so i hope they will chime in and correct me if im wrong. Still i think a small steep wedge and bore cut instead of back cut. Keep looking up when you're cutting and have a a few of really clear escape routes in your head. And if you think you can't handle the tree just don't, its not worth it.

Nice thread, i enjoyed the pictures :)

What happened to this thread? I really enjoyed it except for the trolls. Loved all the pics. Did the swing grapple ever get mounted on the cable skidder?

Back