Some splitter modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Finally, I got it on four wheels. I got an old Roper garden tractor and stripped it down to the frame and axles. I still need to attach it to the frame, but fits like a glove.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also need to attach a handle to pull it and connect the steering to it.

Heres a before picture.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Cool! I think you should cut the hood down and install it over the motor! :)

TreeCo said:
I like it. Does the drive system still work?

Actually, it does. Its got a 6 speed, 3 low and 3 high. Ive thought about getting an electric motor and hook it up, but I may be getting ahead of myself there. Getting it hooked up to the existing motor would require dismantling the splitter entirely and moving things around. Im probably going to mount a battery and winch on it so I can winch it into my trailer, and for whenever I need to get it around places I dont have an ATV or cant pull it.

what about adding a hydraulic motor to power the transmission? it would probably be slow, but it would crawl onto a trailer and move around the woodlot. just a thought.

Sweet!!! That looks like a good design, you should paint it up green! How fast is it? also what is the stroke on the cylinder? I have a 24" stroke on my tsc splitter and I am tired of how long it takes to split a 16" log. You have provoked me into building a new one with a shorter more tonnage stroke! The way you did your high stress points, looks like it will hold for sure! Slick!

slipknot said:
Sweet!!! That looks like a good design, you should paint it up green! How fast is it? also what is the stroke on the cylinder? I have a 24" stroke on my tsc splitter and I am tired of how long it takes to split a 16" log. You have provoked me into building a new one with a shorter more tonnage stroke! The way you did your high stress points, looks like it will hold for sure! Slick!

its a 4.5" x 24" 3000psi cylinder. Its got a 16gpm pump. I havent timed it yet, but its about back to retracted by the time I get another piece on the beam.

Back