• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Some WTF pics.....

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
Spiders are easy enough, (they all yield to the almighty shoe) you deal with them, you get confident... and then you run into a scorpion....

View attachment 793973

Like this cute little guy?

Scorpion 20170526_3.jpg

I scooped it up out of a customer's landscape. It really didn't like crawling in the hair on my arm, so it was trapped on my watchband. I let it go after I was sure we wouldn't be squishing him/her by accident.

I don't fear the creepy bugs like spiders, scorpions, centipedes, nor even any of the stinging insects that fly. It helps when you aren't allergic to anything. When I was a young fellow of about 9 or 10 years old, I used to scoop up wasps that had gotten caught in the water of my pond. I'd let them walk around on my arm until they dried up enough to fly again. I never got stung, either. I also had the good sense to never pick them up with my fingers, either.

ktmtigger

ktmtigger

ArboristSite Operative

View attachment 794123

I scooped him up up out of a customer's landscape. He really didn't like crawling in the hair on my arm, so he was trapped on my watchband. I let him go after I was sure we wouldn't be squishing him/her by accident.

I don't fear the creepy bugs like spiders, scorpions, centipedes, nor even any of the stinging insects that fly. It helps when you aren't allergic to anything.
You're lucky I'm swollen and blue in minutes from almost everything that bites and stings. Never was until I turned 17 or 18

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

buttercup

buttercup

Gone fishing

View attachment 794123

I scooped it up out of a customer's landscape. It really didn't like crawling in the hair on my arm, so it was trapped on my watchband. I let it go after I was sure we wouldn't be squishing him/her by accident.

I don't fear the creepy bugs like spiders, scorpions, centipedes, nor even any of the stinging insects that fly. It helps when you aren't allergic to anything. When I was a young fellow of about 9 or 10 years old, I used to scoop up wasps that had gotten caught in the water of my pond. I'd let them walk around on my arm until they dried up enough to fly again. I never got stung, either. I also had the good sense to never pick them up with my fingers, either.
They say it's the small ones that are dangerous, that one looks small...

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
‎Frazeysburg, Ohio Longberger basket co.
Remember when Longaberger baskets cost hundreds of dollars? I was at an auction and there was a pile of them and the auctioneer couldn't get a $1 dollar bid for all of them. Just checked and they went out of business in 2018. They were a billion dollar company with 8,000 employees.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
Damn near everything floats in mercury. It is heavier than most metals.

If you have the misfortune to try floating gold, silver, or platinum in mercury, you will end up with a big mess of dental amalgam. Mercury dissolves into those metals like water into a sponge.
I didn't know it dissolved. I do know if you dip gold in Mercury, it turns white. We were in chemistry class the day we got our high school rings. The teacher said not to let your new rings contact the mercury, it would turn them white. A girl stood up and called him a liar. He asked to see her ring and dipped it in, and it came out white. I thought that was how they made white gold?

WRW

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
I didn't know it dissolved. I do know if you dip gold in Mercury, it turns white. We were in chemistry class the day we got our high school rings. The teacher said not to let your new rings contact the mercury, it would turn them white. A girl stood up and called him a liar. He asked to see her ring and dipped it in, and it came out white. I thought that was how they made white gold?

Gold alloy, rhodium plating, or both.

https://www.jodiegearing.com/white-gold-should-not-be-rhodium-plated/

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
Dental amalgam is made by mixing mercury with silver. It gets soft enough to push into the prepared cavity, then the mercury evaporates away with time. This, of course, is why "modern" medicine tries to push us away from amalgam fillings. It should be noted that metallic mercury isn't poisonous, but compounds frequently are.

I personally think that the composite fillings often used by dentists these days are just more profitable. They don't cost as much, they are cosmetically a bit more acceptable, and then they fail sooner and need to be replaced. Granted, it isn't real cool to have a mouth full of metal, either.

I don't know for sure about the gold turning white issue. I suspect the mercury would eventually evaporate away and leave the yellow gold behind.
Evaporate? Yes! Learn more here: www.physics.rutgers.edu/~eandrei/389/NISTIR.6643.pdf

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite

WRW

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Stihl 041S

Stihl 041S

Tree Freak
Google Mercury on aluminum

Stihl 041S

Stihl 041S

Tree Freak
Remember when Longaberger baskets cost hundreds of dollars? I was at an auction and there was a pile of them and the auctioneer couldn't get a $1 dollar bid for all of them. Just checked and they went out of business in 2018. They were a billion dollar company with 8,000 employees.
Beanie Baby style......when Beanie Babys are $400....they are no longer $400

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
I once drove by a gold mining facility. They had huge piles of dirt which they moved from pile to pile, and I was told they poured some chemical on the piles (I seem to recall it was mercury) and that the gold would stick to the mercury which would run down to the bottom of the pile where it would all be recovered and separated. Then move the pile and do it again until the gold yield is small enough to not do it any more.

Note before finally posting - a bit of Googling shows that it might be cyanide that was the chemical used - not mercury.

tla100

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
I remember going there as a kid. Hit it on the way home from the Mopar Nationals in Columbus. Not sure if my mom bought one or not.

Bedford

Bedford

ArboristSite Guru
I once drove by a gold mining facility. They had huge piles of dirt which they moved from pile to pile, and I was told they poured some chemical on the piles (I seem to recall it was mercury) and that the gold would stick to the mercury which would run down to the bottom of the pile where it would all be recovered and separated. Then move the pile and do it again until the gold yield is small enough to not do it any more.

Note before finally posting - a bit of Googling shows that it might be cyanide that was the chemical used - not mercury.
Yep, Number 18 here, https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov...page=1&tab=places&view=detailed&rpp=25&cs=288

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
I remember going there as a kid. Hit it on the way home from the Mopar Nationals in Columbus. Not sure if my mom bought one or not.
I used to work the night shift, Sunday to Thursday, got off Friday morning. I walked in the door one Friday morning and my wife asked if I wanted to drive out to visit our old friends in Ohio. I was like, you must be nut's, I will have been up 30 hours straight by the time we get there. She asked do you know what's in Columbus this weekend? Sure, the Mopar Nats. Wouldn't you like to go? Well, how far is Columus from Pickerington. She said about 5 feet. Five minutes later I was packed, in the car, ready to go.