ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Some WTF pics.....

square1

square1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yup... exactly as I described. Thanks for making the model.

Using patterns to do the layout in the field makes that joint reasonable to do if you either have time or deep pockets. Today, in a shop environment use of CNC machining makes it very doable.

Then again, if that joint isn't protected by wide overhangs it would be susceptible to rot. This as it will collect and trap water. For example, in the model the end grain cuts on the left piece are all but a funnel to guide water into the joint.
I don't know about all that, but I found the inspiration for that joint this morning! 20201205_105808.jpg

GrizG

GrizG

ArboristSite Guru
I don't know about all that, but I found the inspiration for that joint this morning!
It's gotta come from somewhere!

Reminds me of an associate of mine, studio furniture maker Michael Puryear talking about his inspiration for furniture like that shown below.
1607189752607.png

It turns out he saw transmission lines on wooden poles that had a curved cross member at the top and found the shape interesting. I couldn't find a photo of curved ones... though I know where some are near me.

1607190211131.png

Biigg50

Biigg50

Addicted to ArboristSite
d44b3624fbf32d4db9f12ed69d55d3fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lowandslow

lowandslow

ArboristSite Guru
Cadillac Northstar V8 is under the valley cover. It's a PITA, but the absolute worst I've ever replaced was the Chevrolet Chevette. The 1st step is to electrically & mechanically disconnect and pull the steering column. The 2nd to the last step is assembling a 14 mm socket to a 6" extension, then while feeding this assembly through a maze starting up near the radiator, add a universal swivel, a 10" extension, and finally the ratchet to remove the top bolt holding the starter back near the firewall. Putting that top bolt back was nearly as much fun as removing it.
First starter replacement took close to 8 hours. By my 3rd, and final one (I owned several Chevettes) I had nearly cut that time in half.
If you have to use a swivel it's a bad design i, in my humble opinion.

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
Education without common sense is dangerous.

The manufacturers make those impossible to fix machines on purpose. Dealers love that crap, 'cause the do-it-yourself folks are intimidated and the reasonable auto shops probably don't have the time or specialty tools.

They are built for inexpensive manufacture & dealer profits, not common sense.