ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Some WTF pics.....

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
I'm just across the border from you in E Washington. I used to run studs until the the 'all seasons" came out. I even have a full mounted set for a car I bought back in the 90s that have never been on the road. The only place studs are better is on ice and I just don't drive in those conditions.

Studs improve traction in all driving condions except dry roads. Better in snow, ice, or even rain. They also imbalance the tire, make more noise, and tear up the roads. I put balancing beads in my tires, so that is pretty much taken care of. Noise I can live with, and I don't wear out the roads except when it is covered with snow or ice. I can swap my tires in short order.

woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
I grew up in Montana, cut my driving teeth in all kinds of snow. It's not that bad.
Now living in Ill-a-noise and we get a lot of ice here.
Ice is much worse, and we didn't get much of that in MT. I recall one bit of ice we had (in MT) and I was driving down a mild slope. Stop light ahead. I was already going slow, knowing it was slick, and I barely began to touch the brakes when I lost it. Not much you can do to regain control, especially on ice. Studs really help with that.
But I would say that the ice up north generally tends to be colder and drier, and therefore less slick. But I'm no scientist. Just my opinion.

And don't forget to put in a customary pic with every post.

View attachment 891154

Ice is ice, no matter the latitude. If its that greasy out I stay the F home.
Our driveway a couple years back.

20150221-driveway2.jpg

20150221-driveway.jpg

pdqdl

pdqdl

View attachment 891170

If not shopped, good WTF

That looks like a somewhat normal RR crossing. Lights are on and running. Blow up the picture enough and you can see the rails, too. Snow cover doesn't help, but I suspect the rails are nice & smooth because of the highway crossing.

pdqdl

pdqdl

View attachment 891189 View attachment 891189
One for Doofus and one for the administrator that made him/her/it a spokesperson. (Couldn’t find a good double pillory pic.)

1614017666195.png

Perhaps a pillory party for the manager that didn't fire them and the Police Chief that allowed that kind of politically correct thought process?
1614017471510.png

turnkey4099

turnkey4099

Tree Freak
The Sheriff's department spokesman gives cop-speak whereas he should have praised the vet for protecting his wife and himself within the bounds of the law.

Great advice: Call the cops. That gives them an early start on writing up what happened BEFORE THEY GOT THERE.

turnkey4099

turnkey4099

Tree Freak
I grew up in Montana, cut my driving teeth in all kinds of snow. It's not that bad.
Now living in Ill-a-noise and we get a lot of ice here.
Ice is much worse, and we didn't get much of that in MT. I recall one bit of ice we had (in MT) and I was driving down a mild slope. Stop light ahead. I was already going slow, knowing it was slick, and I barely began to touch the brakes when I lost it. Not much you can do to regain control, especially on ice. Studs really help with that.
But I would say that the ice up north generally tends to be colder and drier, and therefore less slick. But I'm no scientist. Just my opinion.

And don't forget to put in a customary pic with every post.

View attachment 891154

I got caught in a Blue Norther on trip to new post in San Angleo Tx. Got up to see a blizzard going at them motell I decided to try continueing. Realized my misstake as quick as I hit the highway. Visbility was basically white out. Couldn't turn around as I couldn't tell if traffixc was coming. Decided to continuye very slowly. Culminated in bein g into city limits of Amarillo before I knew I was in a city. Hit red light, touched brake and ended by sliding backward thru a red light. Magaed to find a motel soon after.

turnkey4099

turnkey4099

Tree Freak
Studs improve traction in all driving condions except dry roads. Better in snow, ice, or even rain. They also imbalance the tire, make more noise, and tear up the roads. I put balancing beads in my tires, so that is pretty much taken care of. Noise I can live with, and I don't wear out the roads except when it is covered with snow or ice. I can swap my tires in short order.

Only improve traction on glare ice per tests.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
Don't see how studded snow tires can improve traction on wet roads. Snow? Yeah, a bit, but not so much that you'd notice.

I was born & raised in the PNW. In the winter, we had real snow tires, none of that "All Season" crap like today. And, they had walnut shells crushed and embedded right into the rubber itself. If you were real serious about your snow tires, you had them studded as well.