ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Some WTF pics.....

kevin j

kevin j

Addicted to ArboristSite
I remember studded snow tires and they certainly do work on icy roads , don't remember the crushed walnut but that would make sense .
Don't know if the DOT allows them anymore , or if they even make them anymore

Studded one pair my my old boots just for icy conditions and believe me they work

These slip on carbides are awesome for ice. Replaceable inserts, but I have never worn them out. Slippery on bare concrete though. Have three or four pairs. There are slip on cables and chains, like YakTraks, but I have never used them.

Attachments

• BFAA7AA8-1630-4D18-92E8-C21B0BA25CF9.jpeg
    BFAA7AA8-1630-4D18-92E8-C21B0BA25CF9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
turnkey4099

turnkey4099

Tree Freak
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Who paid for the test? :dumb:
View attachment 891264

I've driven lots of studded, lots of excellent snow tires, lots of bald tires (even in the snow). Studs work better in the snow.
Consider the very best snow tire made. It works fine, right? Does adding studs to that excellent snow tire make it perform worse in the snow? :angry:

Just be aware that there is a powerful legislative movement to resist allowing studded snow tires on public roads. Your government does not care if you slide off the road as much as they would rather not wear out the pavement.
Once upon a time, all the tire stores provided studded snow tires. In this newer age of mass merchant distribution of tires, they don't have time for good service or specialty tires. Furthermore, the wider range of tire sizes cuts down on the potential for customers obtaining stud-able tires. I would be genuinely surprised if the average person could even find a tire dealer to install studs in their tires. That seems to be a disappearing art.

Of course, I stud my own tires.

IIANM tests were done by the NTSB amongst others. Can YOU prove they are better than good snow tires in all condition?

turnkey4099

turnkey4099

Tree Freak
Don't see how studded snow tires can improve traction on wet roads. Snow? Yeah, a bit, but not so much that you'd notice.

I was born & raised in the PNW. In the winter, we had real snow tires, none of that "All Season" crap like today. And, they had walnut shells crushed and embedded right into the rubber itself. If you were real serious about your snow tires, you had them studded as well.

Yes but the mileage on them sucked. New pair every year if one drove much.